none
Safely remove USB RRS feed

• Question

• Our Icon for safely removing a USB drive disappeared, how do we find it and keep it?
    Sunday, September 22, 2019 5:30 PM

Answers

• press and hold (or right-click) the taskbar and select Taskbar settings
    • Under Notification Area, choose Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    • Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media and turn it on.
    • If this doesn't work, make sure the device has stopped all activity like copying or syncing files. Select Start  > Settings  > Devices. Select the device, and click Remove device.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

• Marked as answer by Playpar Monday, September 23, 2019 10:22 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2019 11:50 PM

All replies

• press and hold (or right-click) the taskbar and select Taskbar settings
    • Under Notification Area, choose Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    • Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media and turn it on.
    • If this doesn't work, make sure the device has stopped all activity like copying or syncing files. Select Start  > Settings  > Devices. Select the device, and click Remove device.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

• Marked as answer by Playpar Monday, September 23, 2019 10:22 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2019 11:50 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I suggest you:

1.Disable Quick Removal referring to the below steps:

a.Press Windows + R, type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialogue box and press Enter.

b.Once in the device manager, expand Disk drives, right-click on your USB drive and click Properties.

c.Once in properties, select the tab Policies and check the option Better performance.

d.Now check if the icon is present in the taskbar.

2.Check ‘Plug and Play’ service:

a.Press Windows + R, type “services.msc” in the dialogue box and press Enter.

b.Once in services, search for the entry “Plug and play”. Right-click on it and select Properties.

c.Make sure that the service is running and the startup type is set as Automatic.

d.Press Apply to save changes and exit. Restart your computer and see if the icon is visible in the taskbar.

3.Go to Start -> Run or press Win key+R, type in or copy and paste the following line and click OK.

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

That will bring up the “Safely Remove Hardware” dialog which you can use to stop the USB device that you want to unplug.

If this method work for you, you can create a shortcut for it anywhere on your Desktop: Right-click anywhere on your Desktop and click New > Shortcut. In the dialogue box, enter the command “rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll”. In the next window, you can name the shortcut as “Safely remove hardware”. Press OK for the shortcut to be made. Now whenever you click the shortcut, the window will pop up and you can easily stop all the devices.

Hope it could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 8:38 AM
  • The first suggestion worked but I do not know why, as I did not see safely remove on the list. When I closed taskbar setting the safe removal was there.

HOWEVER I do not receive the notification to safely remove the USB device. and did not see that in notifications. how do I add that?

Monday, September 23, 2019 10:24 AM