none
Sbs 2011 Standard RWA RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get RWA to work. It comes back with "Page cannot be displayed.." Our company has a fixed IP address. In not too technical terms, how do I set up a DNS record to point to "Remote.domainname.co.uk"
    Monday, August 22, 2011 2:41 PM

Answers

• You do this on the Public DNS servers, the same ones that point to www.yourwebsite.com.

Just create an A record "remote.yourname.com" and add the public IP address.  Then forward port 443 from the edge device to the ip of the SBS.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by davernp Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:38 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:11 PM
  • You do not change anything in the DNS console. You need the 'A' record added to public DNS (by the people who host DNS for ourwebsite.co.uk) 
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:48 AM

All replies

• You do this on the Public DNS servers, the same ones that point to www.yourwebsite.com.

Just create an A record "remote.yourname.com" and add the public IP address.  Then forward port 443 from the edge device to the ip of the SBS.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. This is my 1st attempt at setting up an SBS server, so I'm still finding my way around. In the 'Manage DNS' section of SBS 2011, there is already an entry in the 'Forward Lookup Zone' titled 'Remote.ourwebsite.co.uk' . In there is a Host(A) entry pointing to the local server IP address 192.168.1.2. Should I delete that IP address and enter the fixed public IP address, or leave that as it is and make a new entry?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:31 AM
  • You do not change anything in the DNS console. You need the 'A' record added to public DNS (by the people who host DNS for ourwebsite.co.uk) 
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:48 AM