none
Specific mails are not delivered to the user inbox. "Message delivery is taking longer than expected".

Question

• Hello,

A users is complaining she doesn't receive a certain e-mails. I check the usual stuff, anti-spam, see if her Outlook is connected etc.

Everything checks out, when I check message tracking I see the mail is delivered to Exchange but Exchange can't put it in her mailbox and reports the following: Message delivery is taking longer than expected. There may be system delays. For more information, contact your helpdesk.

After reading several threads I get something about diskspace but this machine (and the location of the queue and databases) has 50GB+ free space and reside on the same machine. I have also installed the update rollup 10 for Exchange 2013 with a few reboots but this doesn't seem to help.

This only seems to happen to specific messages. No strange eventlog messages are generated.

Exchange 2013 with the latest updates + Rollup 10
    Server 2012 Std. 64-bit

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

As you mentioned, only one user reporting this issue. Can you move the user to another mailbox database and have a check.

Do she has any X400 or x500 legacy address. Could you check the email address what she curretly has. If she has old email address try to remove & check.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

This organization only has 1 mailbox database so I can't move it. There is a default X400 address in the user object just like everyone else has. Can I safely delete it? It seems like a bogus address (refers to AD domain instead of mail domain).

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 2:07 PM
  • Hi Fr0ns,

Thank you for your question.

Where did the specific email come from?

Did the issue occur on the specific user?

Did the specific email deliver to another user inbox without any problems?

Is there Exchange 2010 in your organization?

By this issue, please try to login OWA with this specific account, then check this specific user could receive email which was sent by others.  If not, please disable and enable this specific email mailbox by the following links: 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997210(v=exchg.150).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj863439(v=exchg.150).aspx 

Then, please check if there are any inbox rules on this specific user to block this specific emails, we could run the following command to check inbox rule:

Get-InboxRule –mailbox <the specific user>

Then check if there is DNS problem to the specific email domain.

In addition, please check if there are any errors in application log and post them for our troubleshooting.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:58 AM
  • Hi Frons,

Make sure you have the Exchange Anti-Virus Exclusions in place.

Anti-Virus Software in the Operating System on Exchange Servers

Exchange and AntiVirus Exclusions – A Critical Conversation

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:21 AM
  • Thanks for both replies.

To make thing a little clearer, this site ran Exchange 2003 2 months ago, we have migrated it to Exchange 2010 to be able to finally migrate it to 2013.

This may sound a bit arrogant from my part and I'm by all means no expert but these solutions seem a little broad for such a specific problem. I can't test it because it is an external customer so that also plays part.

The case is only one e-mail not being delivered to a local mailbox and the sender and receiver have mailed successfully with each other right afterwards. Just this one mail that is "pending" now for over a week.

Is there any way I could "reverse-search" this problem? Is there a log or store for mails that are pending like these? That's what scares me the most. People were actually expecting this mail and that's how I found out. Manually crawling through 30 mailboxes isn't really an option.

Our Antivirus solution has been configured according to the documentation. I will look at this again (you never know).

The user has no rules except for the default "categorization" rule.

Friday, December 4, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

Get-Queue is the cmdlet you are looking after.

Mix it with, these to fix it.

Retry-Queue -Identity "Unreachable" -Resubmit $True

Get-Message -Queue "Unreachable"

There might be a chance of Message Queue DB corruption

Working with the Queue Database on Transport Servers

Change the location of the queue database

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, December 7, 2015 8:41 AM
  • Hi Fr0ns,

Did you mean the user couldn’t receive external emails when Exchange 2003 was migrated to Exchange 2010?

Did user receive internal emails?

If that, please modify inbounding message flow to Exchange 2010 then check if the issue persist.

For testing, please disable A/V software to check if user could receive email.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:05 AM
  • The Get-Queue command shows all queue's as empty. That's strange right? Or am I missing something.

• Edited by Fr0ns Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:27 AM
  • I thought I'd mention the upgrade path we used to get where we are now. Since this migration (3 months a go) everything for every user works as intended (as far as we can see) and this single message is the only thing we can see that is going wrong. The user who cannot receives this single email is working fine now. She just isn't receiving this single e-mail.

So, I think it was important to mention but certainly not directly the reason it is going wrong. Exchange still says the delivery of this e-mail to the user mailbox on the same Exchange server has been delayed.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tested it on all the servers.

Try out these:

Get-Queue -Server Mailbox01 -Exclude Empty

Get-TransportService | Get-Queue

Get-QueueDigest

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998047(v=exchg.150).aspx

Get-QueueDigest -Server Mailbox01,Mailbox02,Mailbox03 -Include External -Exclude Empty

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997263(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:58 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:57 AM
  • I thought I'd mention the upgrade path we used to get where we are now. Since this migration (3 months a go) everything for every user works as intended (as far as we can see) and this single message is the only thing we can see that is going wrong. The user who cannot receives this single email is working fine now. She just isn't receiving this single e-mail.

So, I think it was important to mention but certainly not directly the reason it is going wrong. Exchange still says the delivery of this e-mail to the user mailbox on the same Exchange server has been delayed.

Hi Fr0ns,

Please restart the following services on all Exchange servers to check if the issue persist:

Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology
    Microsoft Exchange Information Store
    Microsoft Exchange Transport

As you said, there are no inbox rules to restrict it. If that, please check if  there are any transport rules which was configured on Exchange server.

Then because the email was sent from external, we suggest you rebuild edge subscription to check if the issue persist.  

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:38 AM
  • All commands show empty queue's. There is only a single mailserver in this setup.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:57 PM
  • The entire server has been restarted several times without any difference. There are no Exchange transport rules set up.

Something along the lines of a configuration error would not cause such inconsistent behavior afaik.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Try resetting the mail.que database, if you have not tried.

Change the location of the queue database:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125177%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Regards,

Satyajit

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 6:59 AM