none
Move huge mailbox from 2003 to 2010 with very little downtime????

Question

• Hi

how can I perform the above action?  I have a VIP that has a 20GB mailbox on Ex 2003 and I need to move his MB to 2010 with little to no downtime.

I have timed it and I can move approx 1.5GB/hr so this leaves me looking at 13 hrs approx!!  This is not acceptable to this person so I am stuck.  The user doesnt want to move data into pst files either.

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

Friday, May 06, 2011 2:09 PM

Answers

• I think even if you were to use tricks or third party tools the VIP will be without some of his mail for more than 1 hour, not to mention the potential risks of data loss that they introduce.

Honestly your two options as I see them are:

1) Move the mailbox over a weekend and have the VIP simply accept that downtime is a necessary trade-off for having such a big mailbox

2) Move most of the data to PST file first so that the mailbox move is much faster, and then reimport the PST

No amount of VIP status can overcome simple technical limitations ;-)

Paul Cunningham (MCITP)
    Blog: Exchange Server Pro
    Book: Exchange 2003 to 2010 Migration Guide
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:20 AM

All replies

• If you are moving Mailbox from Exchange 2003 to 2010 than there will be downtime. You can't prevent it as user don't want PST.

When you Mailbox and till the time move completes user won't be able to access his/her mailbox.

Gulab | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2010 | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2007 | MCC 2011 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah
    Friday, May 06, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Thanks Gulab

Yes moving from 2003 - 2010 = downtime for sure.  I am just keen to know if there is some kind of utility i can use to reduce the amount of downtime

Friday, May 06, 2011 2:56 PM
  • No you can't and there is no utility which i know of.

Gulab | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2010 | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2007 | MCC 2011 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah
    Friday, May 06, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Rather than Using Third Party Tool and Spending money on it. And doing Dial Tone and all I would do the Move Mailbox on Weekends and thats enough time to move one mailbox from 2003 to 2010.
    Friday, May 06, 2011 5:23 PM
  • True, that seems to be a nice solution Troy!

Time vs Money..

Implement limits on this mailbox as well, or else next time when it needs to be moved it will be 40GB instead of 20GB :)

Or implement an archiving solution, either Exchange 2010 or any 3rd part solution

Jonas Andersson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog | Follow me on twitter: jonand82
    Monday, May 09, 2011 2:34 PM
  • thanks guys!

I think I will go with your solution Troy.  Unfortunately the VIP will not accept anything over 1 hr in downtime.  I already have quota's and archive mailboxes in place for all users that have been moved to 2010

Cheers

Lloyd

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:57 PM
  • I think even if you were to use tricks or third party tools the VIP will be without some of his mail for more than 1 hour, not to mention the potential risks of data loss that they introduce.

Honestly your two options as I see them are:

1) Move the mailbox over a weekend and have the VIP simply accept that downtime is a necessary trade-off for having such a big mailbox

2) Move most of the data to PST file first so that the mailbox move is much faster, and then reimport the PST

No amount of VIP status can overcome simple technical limitations ;-)

Paul Cunningham (MCITP)
    Blog: Exchange Server Pro
    Book: Exchange 2003 to 2010 Migration Guide
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:20 AM