none
Can someone help me with shift patterns? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am completely confused.  I have been given durations for a series of tasks.  This resource will be working 2 x 12 hour shifts.  For each task this resource will be working on I have been given the expected number of people that will work on that task to get the job done in the defined duration.

I obviously need to work out the work (hours) for each task based on the number of people working on that job.  I am fine to do this, however I have no idea how to set up the 2 x 12 hour shifts.  Also I assume I would need to set the utilisation (say 90% each person) but do I also then put a break for lunch in the calendar?

Can someone please explain in detail how I handle this?

Thank you for your help

Jo

J Day

Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:40 PM

Answers

• You have to split the overnight shift so half is in the first day and half in the second.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by joday48 Monday, February 18, 2013 3:45 PM
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 6:42 PM
  •   Jo, I think you are doing it the same way I would. The Work week details dialog doesn't allow the entry of different days for the start and end of a shift. Of course, you'll need to be careful with the shift hours at the end of the week so you don't have somebody finishing their shift at midnight.

Remember to be careful when matching the calendar (task or resource) settings with the Schedule Calendar options from the Project options dialog (8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, etc.)

The Max units setting of 90% isn't necessary. You are including the break for lunch in the shift times so 100% during the specified working hours would be OK.

I'm not sure how you would tackle the case of an individual changing between day shift and night shift during the course of the project - or even during the course of a long running task - where you have two resources working alternate shifts on the same task. Having duplicate resources would do it but that's  messy.

Graham

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:45 PM

All replies

• To add something else to my above post.  I have had a go at setting up the calendars.

I actually found out the shift pattern is 7am to 6pm, and 7pm to 6am.

Setting up the 7am to 6pm sift is no problem.  However setting up the 7pm to 6am shift is causing me some issues.  I think this is because it is spanning over 2 days.

Can someone please tell me exactly how to set the 7pm to 6am shift up with an hours break for a 7 day week?  I have looked at setting it up as follows but don't know whether this is right?:

Monday: 19:00 to 00:00

Tuesday: 01:00 to 06:00 and then 19:00 to 00:00

Wednesday: 01:00 to 06:00 and then 19:00 to 00:00

And so on for the remaining days.

Would appreciate you help

Thanks

Jo

J Day

Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:58 PM
  • You have to split the overnight shift so half is in the first day and half in the second.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Sunday, February 3, 2013 6:42 PM
  •   Jo, I think you are doing it the same way I would. The Work week details dialog doesn't allow the entry of different days for the start and end of a shift. Of course, you'll need to be careful with the shift hours at the end of the week so you don't have somebody finishing their shift at midnight.

Remember to be careful when matching the calendar (task or resource) settings with the Schedule Calendar options from the Project options dialog (8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, etc.)

The Max units setting of 90% isn't necessary. You are including the break for lunch in the shift times so 100% during the specified working hours would be OK.

I'm not sure how you would tackle the case of an individual changing between day shift and night shift during the course of the project - or even during the course of a long running task - where you have two resources working alternate shifts on the same task. Having duplicate resources would do it but that's  messy.

Graham

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Thank you all for your help with this matter, I wouldn't have been able to do it without your expertise.

We got there in the end!

J Day

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:45 PM