none
Hard Drive not finding disk for windows install RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a usb bootable drive to install a fresh copy of Windows 7. I have used hade USB copy of Windows for some time now so I know that it works.

My issue is at the moment is once the install starts and makes it to the screen that ask you which drive you would like to install windows on it cannot locate any drive.

I says something similar to no useable drive or something similar. (I do not have the screen in front of me) The list is empty. You have the options of opening a command prompt, advanced repair options, or load drivers. From what I see I need to create a new drive but cannot figure out how or if I'm trying to do something I don't need to do.

Any help walking me threw this Please.

P.S.   The hard drive I am using was at one point used in a different computer and was wiped clean

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you see this HDD in BIOS? If yes, then check its settings - that should be the problem.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:10 PM
  • Hi ,

Based on your description, I think we need to care the BIOS setting.

Please enter BIOS and check the SATA setting. If the SATA mode is AHCI, change it into IDE or compatibility.

Then, press F10 to save the configuration and restart computer.

Try install your Windows 7 system again.

Besides, we also need to load SATA driver to deal with this problem. There is a website talk about How to Load SATA Drivers During Windows 8 Setup, please check it.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9573-sata-driver-load-windows-8-setup.html

After completing above configuration , let’s use command to clean and re-allocate the partition:

diskpart [enter]

list disk [enter]

From the list above (assuming you have more than one HD installed, if not it'll be the only one), find the number corresponding to your HD.

select drive [number] [enter]

clean all [enter]

create partition primary [enter]

select partition 1 [enter]

active [enter]

format fs=ntfs [enter]

assign [enter]

exit [enter]

exit [enter]

Happy holidays. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:49 PM
  • I will take a look at you suggestion. I have not yet looked at the bios but it shouldn't be messed up. I tried the diskpart but I missed a couple of steps. I'm pretty sure that is where my problem lies. I did not assign a partition.

After I do these steps I will let you know if I need more help.

Thank You.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:29 PM
  • Try this in Diskpart (modify to your setup)

Diskpart
    List disk
    Select disk 0 <--- Make sure this is the correct disk number for your Hard Drive.
    Clean
    Create partition primary
    Select partition 1
    Format FS=NTFS quick
    Active
    Assign
    Exit

Ha®®y

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:47 PM
  • I would but as of right now diskpart shows no disk as if there was no hard drive installed. I need to do something to make the hard drive readable. I'm assuming I need to look into the bios as mentioned above.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

Your idea is correct, please go to BIOS to see whether you could make the disk readable.

Best regards,

Teemo Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:28 AM