Is it possible to have the round robin logic in the sharePoint list 2010? RRS feed

Answers

• easiest way would be to create a secondary list in the background, with all the people participating in the round robin... include columns like Enabled and LastUsed... in an SPD workflow, query the list where Enabled is true, sort by LastUsed ASCENDING... assign person to whoever it selected, then update the LastUsed to today.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

• Marked as answer by RonJohnMSU Monday, November 2, 2015 9:40 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2015 7:11 PM
  • How would it automatically update the LastUsed Column in the list? What would be the syntax for the workflow?

Ron Johnson Systems Administrator Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Office – (517) 333-2391 ron.johnson@msufcu.org WWW.MSUFCU.ORG

Friday, October 30, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Hi Ron Johnson,

You can create a workflow as shown below to achieve it automatically. I calculate item id mod 5. If the result equals 0, assign to the first user. If the result equals 1, assign to the second user. And so on…

Her is my detail steps:

1. I Create a list called “PeopleList” to store the users;

2. Add condition and get the user’s email;

3. Update the “Assign to” column;

3. Add a “Assign a task” action and select the user;

4. Check “Start workflow automatically when an item is created”.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 10:06 AM
  • This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!!!

Ron Johnson Systems Administrator Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Office – (517) 333-2391 ron.johnson@msufcu.org WWW.MSUFCU.ORG

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:40 PM

All replies

• easiest way would be to create a secondary list in the background, with all the people participating in the round robin... include columns like Enabled and LastUsed... in an SPD workflow, query the list where Enabled is true, sort by LastUsed ASCENDING... assign person to whoever it selected, then update the LastUsed to today.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Friday, October 30, 2015 7:11 PM
  • How would it automatically update the LastUsed Column in the list? What would be the syntax for the workflow?

Friday, October 30, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Hi Ron Johnson,

You can create a workflow as shown below to achieve it automatically. I calculate item id mod 5. If the result equals 0, assign to the first user. If the result equals 1, assign to the second user. And so on…

Her is my detail steps:

1. I Create a list called “PeopleList” to store the users;

2. Add condition and get the user’s email;

3. Update the “Assign to” column;

3. Add a “Assign a task” action and select the user;

4. Check “Start workflow automatically when an item is created”.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 10:06 AM
  • This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!!!

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:40 PM
  • What do you mean Add Condition and Get the User's Email? Is this a Choice column?

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:49 PM
  • Hi Ron Johnson,

No, my “Email” field is a single line of text type column in the list.

And “add condition” means add a condition in the workflow to compare the remainder with the digit. For an example, if the remainder equals digit 0, write the logic to get the first Email of the PeopleList. If the remainder equals digit 1, write the logic to get the second Email of the PeopleList.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:24 AM
  • How do you get the (Task Outcome to Variable:Outcome1.....) to show up next to Assign a Task?

Friday, November 6, 2015 6:55 PM
  • Hi Ron Johnson,

It’s a “Assign a task” action in workflow 2013. For workflow 2010, you should use “Start  custom task process” action.

Here is a detail article about task process action for your reference:

http://sdtimes.com/the-sharepoint-2010-task-process-designer/

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Monday, November 9, 2015 1:39 AM
  • OK...that was the problem. I was trying to do this using the 2010 workflow. I will try this with 2013. Thanks!

Monday, November 9, 2015 5:09 PM
  • How many If (1) equals steps do we need. Does it need to match the number of email addresses that I am using? I am assuming this is the case?

Monday, November 9, 2015 5:33 PM
  • It does not assign anyone automatically. Just stays blank??

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:59 PM
  • Hi Ron Johnson,

Yes, if you have 5 email addresses, you need 5 equals steps, if(0)-if(4). If you have 6 email addresses, you need 6 equals steps, if(0)-if(5). You can copy and paste the actions instead creating them manually, then only change the value of ID of “PeopleList:Email” to match the id of email address.

About “not assign anyone automatically” issue, did you check “Start workflow automatically when an item is created” in Start Options in Designer?

What did you mean “Just stays blank”?

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:42 AM
  • I have spent many hours on this only to come to the conclusion that it does not work. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Friday, November 13, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Hi Linda,

I have tested your method for Round Robin Workflow. I was able to make it work but it is only picking up the first name in the list.

It won't allocate second name on the list to another request not sure why it is not picking up another name.

Please any help or direction would be very helpful. Please can you also share with us the values you used for the variables. 

Do we need to add "Set Variable:ID CurrentItem:ID" to the workflow?

If I add that it keeps the field blank it seems it is not completing the workflow.

Thanks,

Roger

Never Mind I made it to work. Good Solution, Thanks for sharing it.
    • Edited by Roger556 Monday, December 14, 2015 8:50 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 4:36 PM
  • How did you get it to work Roger?

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 4:33 PM