Windows 7 explorer search RRS feed

• Question

• I am having extrema problems using the useless windows explorer with search on windows 7, when entering a search criteria in the top right (search computer) then the green bar moves from left to right in the address bar which takes 4 times longer than xp ever did.  When all files are found I click the date or size column headings to re-sort in XP the resort took 1 to 2 seconds, in windows 7 the list researches & takes from 15 to 30 seconds depanding on the amound of data in the search field.

Why does it take to long, if the indexing (useless in win 7) doing somehing in the back ground.  In third party software the resort takes less then 2 seconds.  Can this be fixed, or can it be fixed with an update.  This happens on all 5 pc's in work & my home pc.

If this cannot be fixed then what is the point of moving search from the start menu & putting it in windows explorer.

I await a positive response not just a "it works on mine" or "it is the users fault", because 9.9 out of 10 it is microsoft's fault.

Friday, July 9, 2010 10:38 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest you perform the following steps.

1. Perform a Clean Boot to check the result.

2. Please refer to the following article to rebuild the Search Index.

Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions

If the issue still occurs, please also access the link below to configure Windows Search.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932989

Hope this helps.

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, July 16, 2010 6:31 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi turbogo,

I had recenlty installed Win 7 Ultimate on a computer and found the same slow search behavior, green progress bar moving slow, etc. from the Windows Explorer search box. I allowed Win 7 to index the drives (message from Windows Explorer) and it now responds quickly. The change view or resort now happens quickly too.

The Start=>search box also finds results quickly.

I am not sure what the problem could be if you have indexed the drives. Have you done that?

Friday, July 9, 2010 11:58 AM
  •  

Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest you perform the following steps.

1. Perform a Clean Boot to check the result.

2. Please refer to the following article to rebuild the Search Index.

Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions

If the issue still occurs, please also access the link below to configure Windows Search.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932989

Hope this helps.

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, July 16, 2010 6:31 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:29 AM