none
MDT 2012 - HTA Deployment Wizard and UDI RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks,

Please forgive me if this sounds like a silly question. What is the difference between the HTA based Deployment Wizard and UDI? What are the key features and differences between the two, and under what scenarios can/should each be used?

Thank you.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:07 AM

Answers

• Both methods can be tied back into your network infrastructure. UDI requires Microsoft System Center Configuration and will utilize variables that are tied into the Deployment infrastructure (aka MDT/SCCM) that allow you to customize entries such as ComputerName, BitLocker configurations, Wizard pages (HTA's) and so on. 

HTAs are more for the advanced user that can code the process in a customized GUI (Graphical User Interface) using raw code. This method can also contain variables and entries that tie back into the MDT/SCCM deployment infrastructure that will allow you to use entries to your advantage like using the gather scripts to determine if you are deploying to physical or virtual hardware and then rename the computer based on that variable containment.

IMHO, I think UDI and the UDI Wizard Designer is just a fancy UI that allows you to choose what varibales and entries you want to add  into your deployment mechanism. 

• Marked as answer by IUSR345369 Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:08 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:43 AM

All replies

• Both methods can be tied back into your network infrastructure. UDI requires Microsoft System Center Configuration and will utilize variables that are tied into the Deployment infrastructure (aka MDT/SCCM) that allow you to customize entries such as ComputerName, BitLocker configurations, Wizard pages (HTA's) and so on. 

HTAs are more for the advanced user that can code the process in a customized GUI (Graphical User Interface) using raw code. This method can also contain variables and entries that tie back into the MDT/SCCM deployment infrastructure that will allow you to use entries to your advantage like using the gather scripts to determine if you are deploying to physical or virtual hardware and then rename the computer based on that variable containment.

IMHO, I think UDI and the UDI Wizard Designer is just a fancy UI that allows you to choose what varibales and entries you want to add  into your deployment mechanism. 

• Marked as answer by IUSR345369 Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:08 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:43 AM
  • Ok I think I follow. So UDI is only available with SCCM.. otherwise you are using the provided DeployWiz HTAs..

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:16 AM