none
Windows 2003 Server - Windows 2000 Professional network printer issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have currently a network enviroment wich is composed by about 60 workstations running Windows 2000 Professional SP4, and a few servers that run diferent OSs (All Windows). One in particular, handles the network printers (among other things). It runs on Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition (32 bits).

On this server I am trying to install a software named PDFCreator, on its version 0.98. It installs a printer that is capable of printing into pdf files. I need this printer for a batch process. I can install it properly, but it brings me some unexpected issues.

It turns out that, when I install the printer on the server, some workstations start to hang up at aparently random times, running any program. I personally think they hang up every time they try to access the printers (For listing them, for printing, etc.). They hang up pretty bad. The explorer process hangs, and some programs won't open, or won't respond.

Not every workstation has this problem. Of the one that have the issue, all have the PDFCreator installed locally (Not as a network printer). But, of the workstations that have the PDFCreator installed, not all have the issue.

The problem on the workstations doesn't solves after uninstalling the PDFCreator from the server. Not even after rebooting them. It is necesary to disconnect from all the network printers (With the network cable unplugged, otherwise, it hangs up), and then reconnect them. After that, they work perfectly until I reinstall the PDFCreator on the server. Also, only the users that have the network printers connected have the problem. If I log in with another user, it works perfectly (unless I haved logged in before with the user that has the issues).

I've had had a similar problem before, after uninstalling a printer on the server without uninstalling it on the workstations. The symptoms were the same, and the solution was the same. The problem is that now I need to do something that causes the problem.

I really don't know what is wrong. I have never seen a problem like this before. Is a persistent issue on a workstation caused by a change on a server that apparently has nothing to do with the network (The PDF Creator printer is not shared... Is it shared as a hidden ($) resource maybe?).

If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Pablo de Haro

Monday, June 7, 2010 5:08 PM

Answers

• I sounds like the BUD or BPD files in the clients \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 directory are getting regenerated since there are common files in use by the new printer even though the client machines do not connect to the new printer.  There is even a Win2k QFE if this is the issue.

Users cannot print after you install a service pack, update rollup, or printer hotfix on a server in Windows 2000 or in Windows Server 2003. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832219/en-us

QFE for XP and Win2k in this KB

You receive an error message if you try to print a document on Windows 2000-based and Windows XP-based computers. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873396

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Monday, June 7, 2010 7:41 PM
    Answerer