none
DPM Database lost, how to access backups? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

we lost our RAID on which the DPM2010 Server an SQL Database (and other servers...) resided crashed. There is no way we can access the database. The backups are still on a network storage.

Is there any way we can access those backups? 

PS: Please don't tell me we should have backup up the database. I know that (by now...) :(

I just read there is a way to recatalog tapes after the database is lost (http://up2v.nl/2010/12/21/things-to-consider-when-using-microsoft-dpm-and-veeam-backup-replication/). Is there is a similar way for storage pools?

Greetings,

Benjamin

• Edited by Kisch Saturday, April 5, 2014 7:21 PM
    Saturday, April 5, 2014 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is an old post but I will attempt to answer anyway. It is ugly when you don't have the DPM database. It sounds like you already know that. There is no way to re-catalog disk based backups or anything close to that. One thing you can do being that you have the disks still is to access the replica's directly on the volumes.

You can go into: (DPMINSTALLDRIVE):\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\

Here you will have multiple folders depending on the type of data you are protecting such as:

File System
    Microsoft Exchange Writer
    Non VSS Datasource Writer
    SqlServerWriter

etc
    etc.....

When you drill down into any of these folders you will see more folders with GUID's. Here is an example of accessing System State data:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\Non VSS Datasource Writer\vol_357d1b27-92dd-43d8-9859-e5a26f33a2f2\06968cd5-faa7-4697-bdad-f709609504ea\Full\C-Vol\WindowsImageBackup\SERVERNAME\

This is not ideal but this is an option to access your data.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, January 2, 2015 7:13 AM
  • Hello Buchatech,

I don't think this answers the question properly, as the DPM server has also been lost (it was on the RAID also), and the folders you are refering to are mount points in the DPM OS, that can only be recreated by dpmsync, which needs the DPM database ...

Only solution would be to attach NAS disk to a server, and then mount each logical volume and check its content, but without knowing which type of data it is..

Regards

Julien

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:33 AM