none
Connect hosting server to virtual Domain Controller?

Question

• On my physical Dell serwer I have installed 2012 R2 Server with Hyper-V role, one of VM is my only one domain controller it's also on Win2012R2, now I had to connect physical server hosting my virtualized DC to it's domain. 

I have question if I connect this host server when virtualized DC is online it shouldn't be any problems, but I'm afraid what will be after first reboot of physical server because then virtualized DC will be offline - so will this process success or fail?

When adding computer to domain and authorize this step by typing domain admin credentials after this step connected computer need to communicate on first reboot with DC or isn't this necessary?

thanks

Saturday, April 1, 2017 7:22 AM

All replies

• In my personal experience it is good to have a DC outside the virtual environment to avoid the issue you mentioned.

Alternatively you can keep the Physical/Host server to be in the workgroup.

Saturday, April 1, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Hi,
    Theoretically speaking, you can add the host machine (the physical machine) to the domain. However, this can cause some problems. For example, when rebooting the physical host, all the machines including DC will be down. The physical host will try to come up first and connect to the domain and fail, since the VM with AD on it will not have come up yet.
    So it is highly recommended to leave the host machine as a stand-alone server.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 3, 2017 8:52 AM