Unable to Install Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Experts,

I am trying to install windows XP on my pc but having a hard time. I have the following hardware:

Motherboard:   Intel DG965RY
    Processor:       Intel Duo Core
    Hard Disk:       Western Digital SATA 500 GB

I have recently bought the SATA hard disks. Life was very happy with the old IDE hard disk.

My XP installation on the SATA keeps failing at different points, like:

1) During Formatting the disk
    2) During Installation
    3) It simply doesn't move forward after reaching to a point where XP says "3 Minutes" left
    4) Everything goes fine and the blue screen appears

I replaced the SATA disk and bought a new SATA, but again I fail to install.

Your experience would really bring my life to peace.

Regards
    Monday, May 4, 2009 10:11 PM

Answers

• The original Windows XP is too old to know how to deal with hard disks as large as 500GB.  You should use an XP installer which already has SP2 or SP3 integrated (slip-streamed).

XP is also too old to know about SATA drives: you might need to install special SATA drivers from a diskette by pressing F6 during the initial installation.  You might have an alternative available in BIOS settings if you can configure the SATA drives to emulate IDE.
    Robin Walker
    • Proposed as answer by ayush.jain28 Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by AsifMomen Friday, May 8, 2009 10:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:02 AM

All replies

• The original Windows XP is too old to know how to deal with hard disks as large as 500GB.  You should use an XP installer which already has SP2 or SP3 integrated (slip-streamed).

XP is also too old to know about SATA drives: you might need to install special SATA drivers from a diskette by pressing F6 during the initial installation.  You might have an alternative available in BIOS settings if you can configure the SATA drives to emulate IDE.
    Robin Walker
    • Proposed as answer by ayush.jain28 Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by AsifMomen Friday, May 8, 2009 10:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Hi Robin,

GREAT help.

It worked like charm....

I was suggested to replace my motherboard. You saved my $$$$.....

Thanks dude.

Friday, May 8, 2009 10:01 PM