none
Group Policy not populating IE11's compatibility sites. RRS feed

• Question

• We normally do not allow IE updates, but we got a pallet of new computers with IE11 preinstalled on them from Dell.  I figured now is a good time to get this working in our environment.

The issue is that under our group policy settings are not putting the websites we need in compatibility mode.  I have verified the group policy is applied to my computer using rsop.msc and I verified the settings in there.  However when I try to visit our loan application which runs at http://192.168.1.9 it shows a browser not supported message and says to use IE 5.5 or later.  Well if one were to manually add the site in compatibility mode, then it would work.  So we want to avoid the calls to IT Support on how to add sites to compatibility mode and just control it from our end via Group Policy.

So under User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Compatibility View : we have these set:

Include updated Web site lists from Microsoft - Enabled

Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites - Enabled

Show:

http://192.168.1.9    (our lending application)

https://another website

http://192.168.1.15   (our lending application test site for new upcoming releases)

Monday, July 21, 2014 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The site list deployed using administrative template might not be visible in IE user interface. We could see the sites loading in the compatibility mode by opening the developer tool bar (press F12) and checking the browser mode. Also, we can verify the setting in the client machine registry. The configuration is written to registry under HKCU(HKLM)\Software\[Wow6432Node]\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation\PolicyList. More information, please see this blog:

How to add web site to Compatibility View List via GPO

In addition, we need to configure the "Turn on Internet Explorer Standards mode for Local Intranet" policy and set it to disable.

For the “Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites” policy: We need to add Top level domain names in the policy settings.  Reference: Compatibility List FAQ

Some more information: Missing the Compatibility View Button

Hope this helps

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by MarkODonnell Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have we configured the Administrative template for Internet Explorer 11?

Administrative Templates for Internet Explorer 11

For the Group Policy and compatibility with Internet Explorer 11, please check:

Group Policy and compatibility with Internet Explorer 11

Meanwhile, regarding group policy troubleshooting, we might seek help in the following forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverGP

Best regards

Michael Shao

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:21 AM
  • I have downloaded Administrative Templates for Internet Explorer 11 and from Group Policy and compatibility with Internet Explorer 11, i have already tried Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites,

I have added my list of internal sites that require compatibility mode

they are not populated to the clients compatibility list like in previous versions

and any that i add manually are now removed every time GPO is refreshed

i have had to remove the GPO and do it all manually as a work around. 

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:26 AM
  • I am running into the same issue. I've gone through all the motions, including manually adding the template (though all my DC's are Server 2008R2SP1w/IE11). I am able to enable other GP settings and have them take effect in IE11, the only one that doesn't work (and that I need) is adding sites to the compatibility list. Please Microsoft, issue a valid response.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

The site list deployed using administrative template might not be visible in IE user interface. We could see the sites loading in the compatibility mode by opening the developer tool bar (press F12) and checking the browser mode. Also, we can verify the setting in the client machine registry. The configuration is written to registry under HKCU(HKLM)\Software\[Wow6432Node]\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation\PolicyList. More information, please see this blog:

How to add web site to Compatibility View List via GPO

In addition, we need to configure the "Turn on Internet Explorer Standards mode for Local Intranet" policy and set it to disable.

For the “Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites” policy: We need to add Top level domain names in the policy settings.  Reference: Compatibility List FAQ

Some more information: Missing the Compatibility View Button

Hope this helps

Best regards

Michael Shao

• Marked as answer by MarkODonnell Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:51 AM
  • Thanks for your help
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:42 AM
  • Hi Michael, we have implemented as above and the sites added via the administrative template work well in IE10.  The issue is that Users can add their own sites to 'Compatibility View', however these disappear on logout/login.  Is there any way to keep user added Sites?
    Monday, July 28, 2014 4:16 AM