Error 0x80070780 on drive in storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I was previously running Server 2012 and under this installation I created a Storage Pool using a 5 x SATA drives and then created a number of volumes within that storage pool. Subsequently, I did a clean install of Server 2012 Essentials Preview.

I was able to re-attach the volumes under the new installation and access the files on those volumes with the exception of one drive. Here I can see all of the files, but when ever I try to access one I get an Error 0x80070780.

Looking at the properties on the files (seems to be all files on the drive) I can see that whilst the 'Size:' field seems to be correct, the 'Size on disk:' is always 0 bytes.

Whilst chkdsk reports no problems, the Server Dashboard reports that the drive needs to be checked for errors (Critical Error). Doing a Check & Repair through the Dashboard reports that the hard drive is damaged and cannot be repaired (but the chkdsk detail shows no errors).

Any suggestions? I do have backups but would prefer if there is someway to recover the files.

Dave

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:35 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thank you for posting your issue in the forum.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 9, 2013 7:49 AM
  • Thanks Andy. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll hold off wiping the volume and starting again.

Dave

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hi, Dave,

We'd like to know your scenarios and what exactly do you see on the server Dashboard UI. Could you send a mail to yangcao_at_microsoft.com so that we could follow up with you for more information please?

Thanks!
    Yang

Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:17 AM