Install client tool - Dashboard Designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have full install of PPS on a server, and now I would like to install just the Dashboard Designer bits locally so I can deploy all reports onto Sharepoint on the server.  Which install bits do I need to run for just Dashboard Designer?  or is it the same as the full install and just choose Monitor Setup Wizard for Dashboard Designer tool only?

Any specific links to this would be appreciated!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:28 AM

Answers

• Browse to the Monitoring Central site that would have been installed on the server. You can run the Dashboard Designer ClickOnce application from there. The address of the Monitoring Central site will be something along the lines of http://<servername>:40000/central

Cheers,

Nick

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:05 AM

All replies

• Browse to the Monitoring Central site that would have been installed on the server. You can run the Dashboard Designer ClickOnce application from there. The address of the Monitoring Central site will be something along the lines of http://<servername>:40000/central

Cheers,

Nick

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:05 AM
  • Hello,

I was able to load the Dashboard Designer from Monitoring Central, but there must be permission differences between using Dashboard Designer locally versus on the server.  Is the local Dashboard Designer work just the same as I was developing on the server?  

I am getting the following error just trying to connect to the OLAP data source.  I tried the same connection string locally and on the server.  Does it have to

Let me know how permission could be different through Monitoring Central.  Any help is appreciated! 

---------------------------

Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer

The requested item cannot be found. Verify that it exists and that you have access permissions.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Hi SQLChamp,

The permission differences are probably in the data source access granted to the identity accounts that are used by the application pools. The way Dashboard Designer connects to data sources on your local machine is the same as it would do on the server (from a applications permissions perspective). Check the data source access on the application pools. Check out the permissions granted to the identity account for the PPSMonitoringCentral, PPSMonitoringPreview and PPSMonitoringWebService on the server.

Cheers,

Nick 

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:35 AM
  • Thanks Nick!

I found the issue with permission for those services.

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:07 PM
  • I am getting this same error where it can't find the SSAS db.  The Identity account on the PPSMonitoringPreview and PPSMonitoringWebService have read access to the SSAS db.  I can lauch management studio as that user and login to the server and browse the cube.  I tried a full IIS reset with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Abe

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:36 AM
  • Try to make a trace over this db in order to view what user are trying to access to the db.

I had the same problem and the problem was the security of the db. I change the user of the web services and put the same user. I add that user to the security of the db and grant permisions to it.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:45 AM
  • There is no evidence that it is connecting to the SSAS db.  I don't get any error messages.  If I rdp to the server and run dashboard designer from there, i can connect to the database.  However if I launch the app on a client/dev machine, I can't access it.

Abe

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:44 PM
  • It seems as if I can run the dashboard designer as the AppPool identity from any machine, but when I use any other user, it doesn't work.  If i add another user to be admin on the PPS server, then they can run the dashboard designer.  No idea why this is happening.

Abe

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:07 PM
  • Hi Abe,

Just confirming. On the dev/client machine you can successfully launch Dashboard Designer but you can't connect to the SSAS database? Or is the problem with the actual initialisation of the DD application?

Cheers,

Nick

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Hi Abe,

The dev/client machine and the PPS Server are in the same Domain, if not, that could be the problem.

Bye
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:52 PM