none
How to document all DHCP servers the company? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friends,

We have a single-domain AD forest with almost 100 authorized DHCP servers.

I don't know how many of these authorized DHCP servers still actually exist on the network.

I need to document all DHCP servers on the network and their configurations (scopes, options, ip ranges, exclude ranges, failover settings etc). We have 2008R2 and 2012R2 DHCP servers.

Instead of logging remotely to each of my DHCP servers, I'm looking for a tool/script which would collect this data from all DHCP servers. I have a 2016 member server on the network where I can install DHCP tools.

Could you recommend any tool you've personally found handy documenting all your DHCP servers?

Friday, October 20, 2017 11:27 AM

All replies

• Hi weedee 

I wrote a script awhile ago to lookup any dhcp server that are authorized in AD and export all info to separte csv's. You could give that a try. The scirpt needs to be run from a 2012 server with the DHCP powershell moudle install. 

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/DHCP-Server-Scope-Report-9121e3d0?redir=0

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Friday, October 20, 2017 12:40 PM
  • Hello Geoff,

Thanks for your help.

I give a try to your script and it seems to get most of the information I need.

However, when I was running it on my test environment (two 2012R2 DHCP servers) I noticed secondDHCP.domain.local-ServerOption.csv file contained Server Options that does not exist on the server. SecondDHCP.domain.local was not actually even started when the script was running.

These two DHCP servers are failover partners.

Friday, October 20, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hi weedee 

Ok i havent run the script against a DHCP server with failover. I will take a look at the script agian. 

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Friday, October 20, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Hi Weedee

I just ran the script on a failover dhcp server and I can am getting back the right server options. For each scope there are server options so if i have 3 server option and 3 scopes the script will return 9 values 3 for each scope. Are you seeing this or are there Options that have not been set on the scope. 

Friday, October 20, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:44 AM