none
How to open Active Directory object Properties from within PowerShell RRS feed

• General discussion

• In Windows Explorer (win7) you can click on Network and then “Search Active Directory”.  After searching for an AD user or group, you can double-click on it to open the properties of the AD object. 

I would like to open the properties of an AD object window from PowerShell without having to first use the search window.

(This is built into Windows 7 and not using the AD Users and Computers.)

I see processes running for dsuiext.dll, dsadmin.dll.mui, dsrole.dll, ntdsapi.dll, etc but haven’t found any way of calling them.

I have a script that displays the AD groups that an end-user is permitted to manage.  It would be ideal to be able to open the properties of the group to add/remove members without the extra step of using the Search AD window.

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:28 PM

All replies

• Good Day
    You can start by learning the AD Cmdlets
    AD CMDLets

Regards

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:33 PM
  • The window you are referring to is an extension to Explorer.  It is part of the "Shell".  I know of no documentation that tells us that this can be accessed.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:42 PM
  • I would like to open the properties of an AD object window from PowerShell without having to first use the search window.

This presumes that the properties window you're talking about is accessible from some API or script. There is no guarantee that any GUI feature is accessible via an API or a command-line tool.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:56 PM