none
What is the best way to report (or feed) time-entry data from migrated PS 2003 plans with PS 2010 timesheet data? RRS feed

• Question

• Our situation:

• We are migrating several hundred plans from PS 2003 to PS 2010.

• We understand the "protected actual work" data (results of time-entry) will be copied to the Actual Work field in the plans, not associated with timesheets.

• We are thinking of setting the "Protecting User Updates - Only Allow Task Updates via Tasks and TimeSheets" so that the project Actual Work can only be updated through the timesheets.  
    • We need to report and feed time-entry data from PS for actual work from migrated plans and newly created plans in PS 2010.

Question:

• We’ve read that MS recommends that all financial reporting use the timesheet data, however we need to feed time-entry data from both the migrated plans and PS 2010 timesheets.  What are the risks if we would build our financial feed using the actual work that is stored with the plans?  (Or, are we better off pulling timesheet data for PS 2010 plans and pulling the actual work from plans for the migrated data)
    • Does anyone else share this same situation that would be willing to share your experiences (other design considerations, challenges, etc)?  

Thanks so much!!!  Kathy

Monday, June 4, 2012 8:08 PM

All replies

• Kathy:

I hope you have som help with this migration. Before you set the system to accept updates only from PWA, you should publish all your migrated projects, something you need to do anyway. This should populate the timesheets with the actual work in the past. I'm assuming that you're not reaching far back in history for old data.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Hi Gary!  Thanks for the help. :) :)

Are you saying that we can publish our migrated PS2003 plans and by doing so Project Server will create the associated timesheet entries in the past?  We had thought there was no way to do this, so once we migrated, there would be no way to adjust time-entry prior to go-live.  We do yearly time-entry plans, so this point was causing heartburn and pushing us towards a new go-live of Jan 1... So, if we can do this, it would be GREAT.

Thanks for clarifying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Appreciate the help,  Kathy

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:01 PM
  • How far back do you want to go? You need to first create the timesheet periods, and the have the users create the past timesheets. The actuals should show there. I hope you only want to go back a month or so and with not too many users. Otherwise this could be quite tedious. Note, I haven't tried this, but it should work. You should test your migration on a test system before you execute.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:24 PM