none
SteadyState: Java/Flash player is unable to be used on restricted account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I am working at a local shelter where we have just set up a computer for the residents by using SteadyState. Unfortunately, they are unable to use ActiveX, Java or Flash Player as for example present when watching videos on YouTube.

I have tried to alter in the settings of SteadyState, but I am simply unable to find out which setting it is that cuts off all usage of ActiveX/Java/Flash Player.

Can someone please let me know what I need to change to allow a restricted account to make use of ActiveX/Java/Flash player?

Best regards,
    Jesper Pedersen

Friday, March 26, 2010 3:35 PM

Answers

• Jesper,

ActiveX is used by IE only. Unless you changed any of IE's security settings regarding ActiveX, they should load - at the very least prompt the user to allow the control to run. Java and Flash player must be installed on the account you are trying to restrict with admin rights. Give the account admin rights, log into the account and install flash and java. Log out of the account, remove admin rights for that account, apply Steady State's restrictions, and log back into the account and go to youtube, cnn, etc, to test it.

Within IE, if you see its security settings are correct, go to steady states tab where IE is listed, and make sure to uncheck "Third Party Extensions". This will allow flash and java to run within IE.

HTH,

Philip

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:26 PM

All replies

• Jesper,

ActiveX is used by IE only. Unless you changed any of IE's security settings regarding ActiveX, they should load - at the very least prompt the user to allow the control to run. Java and Flash player must be installed on the account you are trying to restrict with admin rights. Give the account admin rights, log into the account and install flash and java. Log out of the account, remove admin rights for that account, apply Steady State's restrictions, and log back into the account and go to youtube, cnn, etc, to test it.

Within IE, if you see its security settings are correct, go to steady states tab where IE is listed, and make sure to uncheck "Third Party Extensions". This will allow flash and java to run within IE.

HTH,

Philip

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Thank you very much, Fairlane32 :)

It was just a matter of unchecking the box in Feature Restrictions in the Toolbar options that said something about allowing Third Party buttons... Once again, I thank you and so does the residents of the shelter :)

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Jesper,

No worries. Glad I could help  :D

Philip

Friday, March 26, 2010 8:58 PM