none
SQL Server Database MSP EPM Project User View Table RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Project Server users,

Can anybody explain the User View part in this table name?
    Does this mean that when a user opens a report that has, for example several projects, he will only see the projects he has the permission to see, or will he see all the data?

I am trying to create a report with all projects, that will recognize user's permissions and allow him to see only the data he can see inside PWA.

Is there a way to do this?

Sincerely,
    Petar 

Thursday, November 3, 2016 11:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Any report consuming data from the SQL PWA reporting database won't adhere to the user permissions. You would need to use the API (PSI / CSOM / JSOM / REST) to return a list of projects the user has access to.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by PetarB Tuesday, November 8, 2016 12:45 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 12:24 AM
  • Thanks for the help Paul,

Do you have any links to any material regarding how to create a report, using the API that recognizes permissions.

As far as I understand, oDATA uses a rest API, but as a full control admin when I create a list of projects, any user looking at the list will see all reports.

I want to make a solution where an admin creates a report with all projects, but when a, for example, Project Manager connects to that report he sees only his projects, and an admin sees all projects.

Do you have any suggestion?

With best regards,
    Petar 

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 12:45 PM
  • Depends on your report technology? For on-prem when we used SSRS we used the PSI as one dataset to give us the projects the user has access to then reporting database to get the other details. The PSI dataset would typically populate the projects in an SSRS parameter etc. For Online we use JavaScript using a similar approach, JSOM / REST will populate a list of projects the user has access to then we use ODATA to get the data from the projects selected.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 4:35 PM