none
Can you run 2 separate Project Server 2010's on one server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i Have a client with a existing Project implementation.

They have a different department that need their own implementation of project but it must run on the same hardware.

So my question is can there be 2 x separate project server sites on one server where each site have it's own enterprise resource pools and all that stuff.

Thanks

Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes you can create multiple Project Server 2010 PWA sites on the same server. These will have there own resource pools, permission model, custom fields etc.

One thing to be aware of is that if you are adding a load more users on to the new PWA instance you may need to review the architecture if you see performance issues.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jesper Arnecke Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Danie Claassen Friday, September 2, 2011 6:26 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:50 PM
  • In central admin, you can go to manage service applications/ project server and select create a new site.  As PW mentioned, it will be totally seperate than the other site.  If you are using the BI center, you may or may not have to create a new instance of excel services using different security depending on your security model.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes you can create multiple Project Server 2010 PWA sites on the same server. These will have there own resource pools, permission model, custom fields etc.

One thing to be aware of is that if you are adding a load more users on to the new PWA instance you may need to review the architecture if you see performance issues.

Thanks

Paul

• Proposed as answer by Jesper Arnecke Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:29 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:50 PM
  • In central admin, you can go to manage service applications/ project server and select create a new site.  As PW mentioned, it will be totally seperate than the other site.  If you are using the BI center, you may or may not have to create a new instance of excel services using different security depending on your security model.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Hi, 

The project has been approved so now i must go and do the job...

What would be best?

i Was thinking to keep it under one sharepoint site to keep it simple but what is the drawbacks on that...

If the second company ever want to move to their own server it is going to be an issue right?

Then there will be one WSS_Content db for both Project Sites? 

So thinking of creating a second web app for them?

Recommendations?

Ok, update after typing the above, we are going to go separate project sites...i Think the project sites is going to be a issue if we dont.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 7:57 AM
  • Hi there,

I would create a new web application / content DB to host the 2nd PWA site and Project Sites so that if in the future the 2nd company want to move to their own server it will be simple.

Thanks

Paul

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:04 AM