Win-7 Explorer window closes when thumb drive is removed RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have autoplay turned OFF for mixed-content devices.

1. I Open a Win-7 Explorer window.
    2. Insert a mixed-content thumb-drive
    3. The removable drive shows up properly in explorer drives.
    4. Click once to change the focus to the root of the removable thumb drive.
    5. Unplug the thumb drive.

6. The explorer session terminates and closes.

Is this normal? If so, this is horrible.

On XP and Vista when the USB drive was pulled, the drive would disappear, and Explorer focus would change to a nearby drive or to 'Computer', but the session would not terminate. This was perfectly understandable, reasonable and preferable.

Closing a preexisting Explorer session when a thumb drive is pulled is NOT GOOD!

If you manually click to change focus away from the removable drive before pulling it out, the explorer session does not terminate. It only closes when the focus is on the removable drive that is pulled out.

I can see the design reasoning - When autoplay is on, and you insert a removable, and Win-7 will automatically start an explorer window and then close down that explorer window automatically when the drive is removed to keep the desktop uncluttered. But it shouldn't close down preexisting windows.

Maybe the reasoning is ok, but the execution is flawed and incomplete.

Color me grumpy.

• Changed type Bitfiddler Monday, June 29, 2009 2:34 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Grumpy

Apparently this is the way it's designed to work.

I can recreate the behavior as you described on 3 different test systems.

I agree, it's a bit disconcerting.

You might want to post some feedback about this issue in our official feedback thread.

Have Comments about Windows 7 RC? (Part 5 - Do not post questions in this thread)

All of the posts in that thread are collected, periodically and sent directly to the Beta Team.

Click the Reply button on the first message in that thread and post your thoughts.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Monday, June 29, 2009 4:39 AM
  • I posted as you suggested. Perhaps 1/million chance of getting that spiffed up a bit before release.

Agree that it's a probably a feature working as "designed".

BTW, if you have three (or 10) explorer windows open, and all have the focus on the removable drive when it's pulled, then all are killed.  hehehe.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Arrrrg.

It's also happening on Non-Removable CD and DVD drives.

If you put the focus is on the drive and then eject the media, the explorer session goes away.

Gee, the drive is still there, just the volume was dismounted. Now I need to fire up a new explorer to view the drives.

Why????  This is obviously designed this way, on purpose, with malice aforethought.

Please let there be a registry setting somewhere...

Friday, July 10, 2009 2:52 PM