Disable PreLoginTimeOut RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

a customer of ours wanted to disable the timeout at the UAG login prompt after which the error message

"The logon process cannot be completed.
    User credentials were not submitted within the time limit.
    Navigate back and follow another link, or type in a different URL."

is displayed. You could set the registry key PreLoginTimeOutSec to a quite high value but this obviously leads to incompatibility problems with other browsers (e.g. Chrome).

Any ideas?

Best regards

Thomas

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Thomas,

I was not implying you should troubleshoot this yourself. Maybe the best option, if possible, would be to open a case with MS Support to investigate this.

But anyhow, I would start by collecting traces for INTERNAL_SITE and WHLFILT_CORE, and try to see what is shown in there.

Unless I'm still misunderstanding something, I would not spend any more time in looking at the PreLoginTimeOutSec setting, since, in my opinion, that is not relevant to the issue at hand. Even without that reg key, as is the normal or default state of a UAG server, browsers should not immediately time out. Furthermore, all browsers, whether IE or Chrome or Firefox, should behave similarly.

Regards,

-Ran

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Friday, August 26, 2011 10:58 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Thomas

What do you mean "this obviously leads to incompatibility problems with other browsers (e.g. Chrome)"? This registry key is to be set on the UAG server, and it affects the UAG server, regardless of the browser being used.

Best regards,

-Ran
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Hi Ran,

it seems that with Chrome and Firefox the timeout occurs immediately, i.e. if you open the logon page the error message appears after a fraction of a second.

Best regards

Thomas

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

If the error message appears after a fraction of a second, doesn't that mean that the end-users do not have time to enter and submit their credentials?

-Ran
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Hi Ran,

yes, that is exactly what's happening.

Best regards

Thomas

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:18 AM
  • Hi Thomas.

OK, now I finally understand. From your original posting, I thought all browsers work as expected, and your customer just wants to remove or extend the pre-login timeout.

There is no way to totally disable the pre-login timeout, only to extend it, using the PreLoginTimeOutSec registry key that you mentioned.

But I would say that the actual issue is not removing or extending this timeout, but actually it is to troubleshoot and hopefully fix the incorrect behavior of Chrome and Firefox which timeout immediately. This should not happen.

Regards,

-Ran
    • Proposed as answer by Ran [MSFT] Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:15 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:55 AM
  • Hi Ran,

well I guess this quite difficult to debug. If I could locate the position in the code where the PreLoginTimeOut is forced I might be able to disable/troubleshoot it myself.

The customer was setting the variable to a very high value (some days) - the max value for a DWord is  4294967295 (~4900 days), I was wondering if there is a logical max value for PreLoginTimeOutSec. Maybe this caused the problems.

Best regards

Thomas

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

I was not implying you should troubleshoot this yourself. Maybe the best option, if possible, would be to open a case with MS Support to investigate this.

But anyhow, I would start by collecting traces for INTERNAL_SITE and WHLFILT_CORE, and try to see what is shown in there.

Unless I'm still misunderstanding something, I would not spend any more time in looking at the PreLoginTimeOutSec setting, since, in my opinion, that is not relevant to the issue at hand. Even without that reg key, as is the normal or default state of a UAG server, browsers should not immediately time out. Furthermore, all browsers, whether IE or Chrome or Firefox, should behave similarly.

Regards,

-Ran

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Friday, August 26, 2011 10:58 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:20 AM