none
Login Scripts / MSCT? RRS feed

• Question

•  

This may pertain to steadystate as well, but I have yet to get my machines over to it and can't seem to locate the old MSCT forums any longer.  Is there a way in the workgroup setup to run a logon script for one profile?  I tried to do it through the user management, but the script does not appear to run.  If this is not an appropriate place to post this, if someone would let me know how to get to some MSCT people (although I figure all of you used to run that).

Just to give  you a little background, I'm trying to stop a service but only on one profile, and I am having a problem figuring out how to do this.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:15 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

First of all, please make sure the script works. Double click it to run and then verify the result.

Have your tried the steps in the following article?

How to Assign a Logon Script to a Profile for a Local User

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315245

Note 1: You can put the script to C:\Windows, the script path will be: %windir%\ScriptFileName

Note 2: To  stop a service, we can create a BAT file with the content: Net stop “Service Name”

Another simple method is putting the script to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

As I know, service is not user based, if we stop it, it will stop for all users. Thus, we may need to start it when the user logs off. To do so, try the following method:

1. Create another script/bat file which is used to start the service.

2. Click Start and then Run. Type in gpedit.msc and click OK.

3. Locate User Configurations -> Windows Settings -> Scripts (Logon/Logoff)

4. Double click Logoff, click Add to add the file we created in step 1.

Note: This script will run on every users' logoff. This will make sure the service can be restarted properly. Even if the user hasn't log off properly (such as a reset).

I hope the above information helps.

Best Regards,

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:28 AM