Error update on Windows Server 2019 build 17692 RRS feed

• General discussion

• The machine I had installed Windows Server 2019 build 17692 on was kept turned off for several days, yesterday I have opened it up. Windows Update brought a Windows Antimalware Platform Update, I have installed it, then reboot. The machine seemed stuck into booting only recovery mode. I have managed to boot Windows only on Safe Mode. Reinstalled Windows, on installing that update, got the same Windows crash, only this time not even Safe Mode was available. Another clean install, the update crashed Windows in the same way, but booting in Safe Mode was available again. I assume tommorow a new Windows Server 2019 build will be available, I hope this issue is resolved. For now, the machine is unusable for any kind of testing, due to this bug. I report this just in case.
    Monday, July 9, 2018 10:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your support and feedback.

Could you boot into normal system after uninstalling the update?

Meanwhile, we can check CBS logs on the system path %windir%\Logs\CBS\

CBS stands for component based servicing. CBS.log is a file which include logs about components when they get installed or uninstalled during updates.

For more information about this topic, please refer to the following link,

https://www.faqforge.com/windows-server-2016/what-is-cbs-log/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Furthermore, we can use SFC tool to check the system on safe mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Hope above information can help you.  

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your support and feedback.

Could you boot into normal system after uninstalling the update?

Meanwhile, we can check CBS logs on the system path %windir%\Logs\CBS\

CBS stands for component based servicing. CBS.log is a file which include logs about components when they get installed or uninstalled during updates.

https://www.faqforge.com/windows-server-2016/what-is-cbs-log/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Furthermore, we can use SFC tool to check the system on safe mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Hope above information can help you.  

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thank you for the reply. I can not find a way to uninstall it. It is Windows Defender platform update. I can not find the uninstaller.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

1)Click the "Start" button on the desktop taskbar.

2)Click "Control Panel" and then click "Programs."

3)Click "View Installed Updates" in the "Programs and Features" section.

4)Locate the Windows Defender update that you want to remove from the list of installed updates.

Click the Windows Defender update to highlight and select it. Click "Uninstall." If prompted, enter your computer administrator password -- this is usually the same as the Windows login password for the main computer user.

https://itstillworks.com/uninstall-windows-defender-updates-8454151.html

Hope this helps. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Thank you. A new preview build of WS 2019 was launched, 17709, this bug seems to be absent in there.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

I'm very glad that the issue was resolved successfully! Your feedback and technical are very appreciated. 

Thanks for your sharing and support.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, July 13, 2018 2:04 AM