DNS Reverse DNS lookup failing RRS feed

• Question

• We have two domains, Contoso.com and dallas.com and both have bi-directional trust established.

I have noticed wiered issue with DNS recent days;

When I try to reverse lookup some servers in Dallas.com from Contoso.com its resolving to local host.

Eg:

>nslookup

> 192.168.10.10
    Server:  DNSserver.contosso.com
    Address:  192.168.11.10

Name:    localhost
    Address:  192.168.10.10

(192.168.10.10 is the IP address of a server in dallas.com domain)

Name to IP it works fine, its a issue only when we try to resolve IP to name that too with only the trusted domain servers/ computers.

Mahi

Monday, June 23, 2014 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

reverse lookup is actually exactly the same as a 'forward' lookup, except for the record type and the zone the records are stored in.

To resolve 192.0.2.5 to a hostanme, you ask dns the PTR record 5.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa. So you should make sure your server can resolve that request.

1) make sure the PTR records are indeed registered (in their 'own' dns)

2) create a conditional forwarder, stub zone or whatver you think is appropriate to make sure users using your dns in one domain to resolve records in a zone on the other.

I think the record you get back "localhost" might be a cconfigured PTR record on your local dns: check what zones and records are available there. 

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Monday, June 23, 2014 2:06 PM
  • I verified stub zone looks fine. PTR records also looks fine.

Not getting any clue what is causing the issue. This is causing lot of issues.

Mahi

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:45 AM
  • what is the name of the stub zone?

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:23 AM
  • Its same as the other domain name, in this case its Contoso.com

Mahi

Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:59 AM
  • Not sure if this is related, but it looks like you have a typo in the domain name. Maybe it is something you only typed here, or maybe when creating the domain. Notice the "ss" in contosso below from your first post.

>nslookup

> 192.168.10.10
    Server:  DNSserver.contosso.com
    Address:  192.168.11.10

-Greg

Friday, June 27, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Hello Greg,

Thanks for your response.

Its an example which simulates the issue facing in actual producation environment. So this typo is OK here.

Mahi

Monday, June 30, 2014 8:59 AM