Why won't Microsoft troubleshoot the long "loading profile" delay when launching Outlook 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent the better part of a month trying everything that's ever been suggested for solving this widespread (check this link) problem, which results in a 45-second wait when launching the Office 2016 Pro version of Outlook.  I've tried everything here and here, so please don't re-suggest any of these non-solutions.

This delay has to be because Outlook is trying to access something on the web and timing out.  I’ve seen other users with laptops say that if you go into airplane mode, load Outlook and then exit airplane mode, it launches normally.  But all Microsoft reps offer are generic suggestions (safe mode, disable add-ins, re-install, etc.).

This issue should be a breeze to troubleshoot for anyone with the source code.  What I want to know is why Microsoft refuses to do so.  Are they waiting for someone willing to spring for $500 to solve it?

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, March 26, 2018 2:35 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2018 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi ArtSnob,

Thank you for visiting Office forum. I can totally understand your frustration.

What's the detailed version of both Outlook 2016 and Windows?

Based on my knowledge, this issue was reported by many users on Outlook 2016 (version 1711 and version 1712). If you still have this issue, please try upgrading to the newest version to see if there are any improvements.

According to my research, this issue could be related with both Office and Windows system environment. What steps have you tried so far?

Besides, please try deleting following related registry key and then re-create a new profile to check the result.

(Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

Please refer to this article about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows)

Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\Windows

Messaging Subsystem\ Profiles

Once located this key, please go to Edit > Delete. After deleting, we could go to Control Pane > Mail > Show Profiles > Add to create a new profile.

What’s more, this issue may also be related to the network connection at a certain time period or Outlook need load some configuration. We could reset Internet options to see if issue continues. To do this, please go to Control Pane > Internet Options. Under Advanced tab, click Reset button to reset all settings to their default condition.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, March 26, 2018 9:45 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 2:30 AM
  • I can't find an "about" option to give me the details for the version that I'm running.  The details of the Outlook file itself are as follows:

If I need a newer version, where do I go to download it?  And why doesn't normal updating make it the current version?

If you click on the two "here" links in the first paragraph of my original post, you'll see everything I've tried so far.  What makes things so frustrating is knowing how ridiculously easy it would be to isolate the attempted process that's timing out ... debugging 101.  Do you need a working example?  I've got four of them, if someone wants to observe it firsthand via Webex.

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:43 PM
  • One of my clients has the exact same issue with Outlook on all their PC's connected to Exchange mailboxes in Office 365 Business. 

I have discovered that the fault is at Microsoft's end, and relates in some way to the auto-discover system.  The proof is this.  If we unplug the network cable from the PC, then launch Outlook, Outlook launches immediately.  If we leave the network cable plugged in (i.e. with Internet) then we get the 3 minute hang at "Loading Profile".  Outlook eventually launches and works normally after that.

I have checked their domain DNS settings in the Office 365 Admin console, and everything is perfect.  No DNS issues detected.

What have you done Microsoft!  Please fix ASAP.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

Is that all problematic accounts are Exchange account?

What's the size of the account OST/PST file?

In addition to the step above, we could use the Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) to get a detailed report of your installed Office programs. It also highlights known problems that are found when OffCAT scans your computer. For more details, please refer to this link.

Currently, I cannot reproduce this issue on my Outlook 2016 (MSO 16.0.9029.2253) with Windows 10.

>>I have discovered that the fault is at Microsoft's end, and relates in some way to the auto-discover system. 

To determine if the Autodiscover service is configured properly, we could use the Test E-mail AutoConfiguration tool in Outlook. Please refer to the steps below.

1. Press and hold down the CTRL key, and then right-click the Outlook icon in the system tray.

2. Select Test E-mail AutoConfiguration.

3. Enter your email address and password.

4. Clear the Use Guessmart and Secure Guessmart Authentication check boxes.

5. Ensure that the Use Autodiscover check box is selected.

6. Click test.

Check the detailed information under Results and Log to see whether AutoDiscover XML was returned correctly.

Besides, as I'm not familiar with Server setting, you could also post this thread to Exchange Forum to see if they have any good ideas.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:21 AM
  • You can't use the autodiscover test with Outlook 2016 Pro ... all you get when you press CTRL and right-click the icon (or just right-click it) is this:

The problem IS Exchange-related.  I've seen the same install of Outlook 2016 Pro work properly on a non-domain computer which accesses a POP account.  Outlook is trying to interact with the Exchange server in a way that fails and keeps you waiting while it times out.

If you can't reproduce the issue, I sure can -- fourfold.  I can be ready for Webex or Teamviewer hosting on short notice.  Doesn't anyone at Microsoft have the intellectual curiosity to put this longstanding bug to rest?  It's SO discoverable with a minimum of debugging effort.  I'll bet that Microsoft DOES know exactly what the problem is, but wants $500 a crack to reveal it.  For everyone else ... time-consuming guesses that lead nowhere.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:10 PM
  • I've seen users with laptops say the same thing ... if you go into airplane mode and launch Outlook, it loads properly, after which you can turn off airplane mode.

Since Microsoft seems content to do nothing whatsoever about this issue, maybe someone can devise a workaround: a batch file or script that will turn off networking, load Outlook, and then turn networking back on.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to bring this inconvenience for you.

Normally, when you open Outlook with network connection, Outlook will first visit AD and check some account data, SCP and so on. After that, it will connect to Exchange Server to open your account. That's why opening Outlook locally will be faster than opening with network. 

To check if the autodiscover or Exchange server connection solwer the profile loading, you could post this thread to Exchange Forum to get a better response. As here we mainly focus on issue regarding Outlook client, I'm not familiar with server.

>>You can't use the autodiscover test with Outlook 2016 Pro ... all you get when you press CTRL and right-click the icon (or just right-click it) is this:

It seems you right click the icon on the taskbar.  Please check the screenshot above to right click the small icon of Outlook from the system tray and then check the result.

Thank you for your understanding and support. Any problem, we are willing to help.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:07 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 29, 2018 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:06 AM

• I just closed Outlook and re-opened it on all PC's and found that they are now launching Outlook and loading the profile at normal speed.  We haven't done anything to fix it at out end.  The problem just "went away".

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:34 AM
  • How do you post a thread to another forum?

Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

You could follow this link and then click Ask a Question. You could involve this link there so that they can check for more details about this case.

Besides, have you tried using the Test E-mail AutoConfiguration tool in Outlook? Are there any updates?

Regards,

Perry

Friday, March 30, 2018 7:48 AM
  • Did you recently update the files manually, via WSUS, or does the auto update feature work for you?  It doesn't for me, and when I brought all four machines up-to-date manually (there were a LOT of updates), Outlook finally started normally.  So the problem can be considered solved as of the current version for this date.  That would be 1803, build 9126.2166

I'd really appreciate it if you could corroborate this version and tell me how your Office version is updated.

Friday, March 30, 2018 7:59 PM
  • It looks like the problem is gone as of the latest update.

Where is this Test E-mail autoconfiguration tool you mention?  I can't find it anywhere in the program or in any of the other Office programs.  Also not in Help.  BTW, you can't check for what updates have been installed on a C2R install.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, April 2, 2018 1:21 AM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 8:34 PM
  • Our machines are now running 1803 and the problem has gone away.

We are not using WSUS anymore, as the PC's are no longer domain connected.  They are just stand-alone machines connected to Office 365 exchange mailboxes, and they get their Office software updates automatically from Windows Update.

You could add Office 16 to Wsus

Saturday, March 31, 2018 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

>>It looks like the problem is gone as of the latest update.

So glad to see that your issue has been solved. If you have other concern, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, April 2, 2018 1:21 AM