How do I remove an old homegroup and create a new one in Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• My previous PC crashed and was unrecoverable, so I am using a new PC on which I installed Windows 10. When I attempt to create a homegroup with the new PC, I am instead asked if I wish to join the old one that was created on the computer that no longer exists.  If I try to join, of course it does not work and I only receive an error message.  Homegroup troubleshooter has been useless, tells me it is unable to find the problem. How do I remove this old homegroup from existence and start fresh?
    • Edited by W Knowles Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:10 PM typo
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 2:54 AM

Answers

• A post with the same issue;

How to create/delete Homegroup Windows 10

"I had the same problem after my Win 10 November update. All the computers on my network seem to have forgotten the HomeGroup Password.

I found this and it worked for me.

open folder

C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

(you need to "show hidden folders" and click through each level with admin permissions)

Delete the file idstore.sst, and all other idstore.*

You can now setup a new HomeGroup, copy the new password and manually add all your other machines."

Other posts I have seen say turn off all other PC's whilst doing that.

I will also link Homegroup exists but Host PC doesn't join it the thread I posted that info originally on that helped the poster.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:26 PM

All replies

• Please try the suggestions outlined here.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, January 31, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Hello,

This fix may help you as well:

http://www.kapilarya.com/windows-cant-set-up-a-homegroup-on-this-computer

Let us know if this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Sunday, January 31, 2016 4:13 AM
  • Unfortunately this does not work.  I have no "Create homegroup" option, and there are no computers left that were a part of the old homegroup, as my laptop is new as well.
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 5:07 AM
  • Unfortunately this is not the issue I am having.  I am not getting any message that tells me that a homegroup cannot be created on my computer, I am instead seeing an existing homegroup that I am told I can join, but no attempts to join it are successful because the original computer it was created on is gone.  I also am not being given any option of creating a new group, only continually asked to join this old and un-joinable one.
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 5:09 AM
  • Hi W Knowles,

What is your current situation?

Please take a try to reset your router, then open CMD with admin rights, type the following:

Ipconfig /flushDNS

After that, check to see if homegroup could work normally.

Some reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/homegroup-problems-in-windows

Add a thread for reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b3807da9-80b9-4ba7-b57d-17d5bbe2b86c/homegroup-exists-but-host-pc-doesnt-join-it?forum=win10itpronetworking

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:16 AM
  • Sorry, I was away on business and just returned to try this.  I did as instructed, and the DNS was flushed successfully.  When I went to HomeGroup, I was still only given the option to join the existing group, no option to create a new one.  I tried once again to join, and after several minutes was asked to supply the HomeGroup password.  I did so, and after several more minutes received the message "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network.  To create a new homegroup, click OK, and then open HomeGroup in Control Panel."  I did so, and once again was presented with only the option to Join Homegroup, no options anywhere to create a new one.  What else can I try?

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:09 PM
  • A post with the same issue;

How to create/delete Homegroup Windows 10

"I had the same problem after my Win 10 November update. All the computers on my network seem to have forgotten the HomeGroup Password.

I found this and it worked for me.

open folder

C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

(you need to "show hidden folders" and click through each level with admin permissions)

Delete the file idstore.sst, and all other idstore.*

You can now setup a new HomeGroup, copy the new password and manually add all your other machines."

Other posts I have seen say turn off all other PC's whilst doing that.

I will also link Homegroup exists but Host PC doesn't join it the thread I posted that info originally on that helped the poster.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Mr Happy:

I could not find the idstore files as suggested above. However, I did type them in the search in the File Explorer. I found four idstore.dll.mui and four idstore.dll files are these the same files you referred to deleting?

EasySmith

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:29 PM
  • This was a good fix.  I created a folder in PeerNetworking and moved the files into it in case I needed to put it all back.  I also found that my other Windows 10 PCs automatically detected the new homegroup and joined without requiring me to input my password.

Vicki

Vicki Milton

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Like several other people, I've got a network with a phantom computer that supposedly created a homegroup.  I've physically inspected every computer on the network (3 desktops, 4 laptops), and there isn't one that matches the phantom machine.  It's connected both via Ethernet and Wi-Fi, using two different IP addresses and with two different MAC addresses.  I've used the router's access controls to block the phantom computer but the phantom homegroup still persists.

I've tried all the solutions in this thread and none of them have helped.  I have become the XKCD comic where a guy is shouting at his monitor "What did you see?"
    If anyone has any suggestions, I would dearly love to hear them.
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 10:00 PM
  • could not find the folder nor the file on desktop or notebook!! both running win 10
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:43 PM