none
Protecting content on volumes above 64TB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I'm new to SCDPM and I've run into a few gotchas...... hoping someone can assist me.

Basically I've inherited a large scale file cluster which is in desperate need of being backed up; we've purchased a LT07 tape library and deployed SC DPM 2016 (currently installed on Windows 2012R2, I know I'm missing out on ReFS features etc...).  I'm able to backup smaller volumes successfully however there are a number of volumes in excess of 64TB which fail. 

The failures appear to be due to VSS not being support for >64TB volumes, as per TechNet article 2967756 'usability limit for volume shadow copy service' (unable to post link as my account is not yet verified).

I cannot find a way of backing up any content from these volumes (without copying it to a smaller volume), even if I select a single directory the backup fails with 'The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state......' VSS Event ID 12289 is logged on the failover cluster server hosting the content.

Is there a way of backing up specified folders without VSS? can it for example be mounted as a shared folder ? as if it's on a non-windows host?

NB:  I'm not concerned about potential file locks etc, as the backup will be taken from a secondary mirror which no users have access to. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Monday, July 10, 2017 12:30 PM

All replies