none
Exchange Online & Bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hopefully I have the right forum!

We are planning a move to Office365. We have high concerns in regards to security and I was asked a question of which I am unsure.

We plan to migrate our emails to Office365 and I am aware that Bitlocker encrypts the data at rest. However, can someone clarify where the encryption key is held (from my understanding by Microsoft) and should we choose to manage the encryption key ourselves, is this possible?

From my reading, Microsoft plan to allow us management of our keys, but I'm not sure if this is available now

Andrew

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:41 PM

All replies

• Check the “Advanced encryption” section in this document: http://aka.ms/DET.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Base on my research, BitLocker Encryption has already been applied to all office 365 tenants and managed by Microsoft.

Furthermore information about Office 365, please contact Office 365 forum for further assistance:
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/default.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 15, 2016 3:20 AM
  • Thanks - so in "theory" should Microsoft wish to access our Exchange data (i.e if the law told them to) they would have the means to access it (as they have the Encryption Key).

I just need to clarify it with the decision makers within my organisation

Friday, April 15, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft has already performed a lot of the configuration work to set up secure Exchange. BitLocker is already setup on your tenant and all your data is encrypted in Microsoft data center.

More details about it, please see Office 365 trust center website.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 18, 2016 1:55 AM
  • Okay - thanks.  But this still means should they need to there is the potential of Microsoft to accessing the data as they hold the bitlocker encryption key. 
    Monday, April 18, 2016 9:47 AM