Update an installation of Office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two questions.

We have deployed Office Enterprise 2007 to all clients on our network. However, we now wish to uninstall one component of the Office suite (Groove). I have already created a new MSP file and placed it in the Updates folder of my network installation point, in addition to the original MSP file.

So my two questions are:

1) Will future, new installations of Office now exclude Groove, or do I have to create a new software package in SCE first. If so, do I then delete the original Office software package? Why is there no "update software package" option?!

- and, most importantly -

2) How do I go about updating existing installations of Office on everyone's computers? I want to leave any of their customized settings in place - the only change I want applied is the removal of Groove. (i.e. I do not want to reinstall office or overwrite their changes to Outlook's layout.)

Many thanks,

Jake.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Jake,

Cound you please check your Office installtion file, I had Office 2007 in my environment, and there is an separate MSI file for Groove, if you can find it, please deploy this file with the un-installation parameter, in this way, you don't need to deploy office again, as it's too big

• Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:06 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2009 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Jake,

I think We can use the office parameter to uninstall the Groove on your client, you can create a new office package and add the parameter to remove the Groove.

For the specific parameter, I'd like to suggest you go to Office newsgroup for more information

Office Discussion Groups
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Hi Eric -

Thanks for your reply...

If I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that I should now create a new software package in SCE using Office's Setup.exe and the appropriate parameter, then deploy that package.

Do I need to include the entire folder and subfolders in the SCE package, or just the Setup.exe?

Is there no way to simply update an existing Office package using a new MSP file (as created by the Office Customization Tool)? The creation of a new software package in order to simply amend the options of an existing software package seems a little counter-intuitive... but is that the only supported method?

Many thanks,

Jake.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Hi Jake,

Cound you please check your Office installtion file, I had Office 2007 in my environment, and there is an separate MSI file for Groove, if you can find it, please deploy this file with the un-installation parameter, in this way, you don't need to deploy office again, as it's too big

• Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:06 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Thanks Eric, great idea, and it worked. For anyone else reading this in the future, you need to use the MSI file inside of:

\Office12\Groove.en-us\Groove.en-us

Not the one in:

\Office12\Groove.en-us\

(I actually ended up using both.)

(UPDATE: BTW, according to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179018.aspx you cannot use the UNINSTALL parameter with the MSIs. Instead, I approved the packages for Uninstallation in SCE, which I would have thought did the same thing, but it seems to have worked! A restart will be required after the uninstall but is not automatic. It seems that the official way to do this, which I read about too late, is listed on this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178956.aspx - but this involves the use of the entire Office package, which is over 500mb.)

Now, I obviously need to fix the actual Office Enterprise installation package as well (i.e. the one that initially installed Office on everyone's machine), otherwise new computers will end up with Groove installed. So I created a new package called "Office Enterprise 2007 without Groove" using a new MSP.

So my final question is: can I delete the old Office package and approve the new one? If I do, when I approve the new package for installation on All Clients will SCE be clever enough to realize that Office is already installed on most computers? Or is it going to try to reinstall Office on everyone's machine?

Thanks!

Jake.

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:21 PM
  • Ok I thought I'd try testing this myself with a test group in SCE. unfortunately SCE is not smart enough to know when Office is already installed, so it tries to reinstall it on machines that already have Office. But, after a good while trying, it jumps from 0% to 100% on each client and says successfull. It then re-installs Office SP1, again jumping from 0% to 100%.

So far I've only tested two machines, so I'll report back as I widen my group.

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Hi Jake,

How about the result for your testing?

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Hi Eric -

Well so far this seems to have worked on all of our test PCs. Today I've approved the uninstallation for all clients - so here comes the real test! Thanks so much for your help.

It should be mentioned that software MANAGEMENT in SCE is seriously lacking, and very messy. Sure - deployment is possible. But altering software after its initial deployment is pretty ugly. I hope a future version of SCE is able to improve in this area...

Jake.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Jake,
    The avbility you speak of is getting better with time and will continue to improve as better and better msi's are written. Products like Adobe Reader already are very easily updated with SCE as their msi packages recognize the existing product and only make the necessary changes needed to perform an upgrade. If there is no existing product they perform a full install. Updating products installed with Exe's is considerably more difficult as you have noted. Hopefully Microsoft has taken notes on the general dislike of the installation changes they made to Office 2007 and improve their installs in future releases.
    Tim
    Tim Vander Kooi
    Friday, February 6, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Thanks Tim,

I really don't understand why Microsoft felt it best to abandon (or rather wrap) their self-developed installation technology (MSIs) in favor of what I always thought was an older methodology (setup.exe) for Office 2007.

With the growth & development of software like System Center, I hope that Microsoft begins to realize the benefit of standardizing and simplifying the installation process across ALL of their products!

Jake.

Sunday, February 8, 2009 8:27 PM