none
Why doesnt FIM keep a last modified datetime on its objects??????????? RRS feed

• Question

• Why oh why is there no last change date maintained by FIM? maybe there is but I cant see where.

If we look at the attributes from an .xml dump of an MPR say, made by the FIMExport cmdlet. I see creation date and the creator and a whole bunch of useful stuff but no modified date.

We are attempting to document Configuration changes made to a vanilla FIM. OOB many MPRs are Disabled. Usually the only change required is to Enable some that are Disabled. It is hard to track back and detect what Administration objects have been modified without any modification timestamp.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:00 AM

All replies

• I agree it would be useful at times, but you have all the information you need in the form of request objects. That would tell you exactly who and when the object was changed.
    • Proposed as answer by UNIFYBobMVP Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:12 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:27 PM
  • But that list is kept only for N days by default. It will not tell me anything about changes made to an object several months ago, say.

How do I save those request objects? Can it be automated? what is the truth: the object itself or the documentation trail?

And, its just one extra attribute ffs. Two if you include the modifier. There must have been a conscious decision NOT to have a modify date, I only ask why.

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:36 AM
  • I have often thought this too - and no I don't know why or if it was a conscious design decision to leave it off.  I too use the //Request/CreatedTime in lieu of this for my workflow activities, and you could certainly create a custom binding and add this property in the AuthZ phase yourself.  If no response to this I will ask the powers that be ...

Bob Bradley (FIMBob @ TheFIMTeam.com) ... now using Event Broker 3.0 for just-in-time delivery of FIM 2010 policy via the sync engine, and continuous compliance for FIM

• Proposed as answer by UNIFYBobMVP Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:12 PM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:49 AM