asOutExt.dll (Outlook) and Avast ==> Crashes (Load unsuccessful) RRS feed

• Question

• Having upgraded recently to Avast Premier ver 17.24.3.14, my Outlook 2013 of Office Prof 2013 (15.0.4989.1000) on my Win 8.1 PC will not start-up  <Crashes On Launch>, originally complaining about the add-in asOutExt.dll.

Now it seems to be complaining only about the file ntdll.dll

When Outlook tries to start, the error message displayed is: "Outlook has stopped working."

EVENT LOG:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 15.0.4989.1000, time stamp: 0x5a0bee96
       Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18821, time stamp: 0x59ba8666
       Exception code: 0xc0000374
       Fault offset: 0x000e61e4
       Faulting process id: 0x1474
       Faulting application start time: 0x01d386b14e1bcba4
       Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\OUTLOOK.EXE
       Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
       Report Id: 8c9e6b50-f2a4-11e7-82d0-083e8ed75192
       Faulting package full name: 
       Faulting package-relative application ID: 

When I look for the file asOutExt.dll (and asOutExt.dll.sum), they exist only in the AVAST directories.

The above is after I tried: Administrator Command Prompt:  C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast > regsvr32 asOutExt.dll      , but that did not correct the problem.  It did seem to shorten the lead time-to-crash.

Before execution of the above command, the only difference in the log error message seems to be: Faulting process id, and date & time.

Based upon what I see now, I'm not sure what got me keyed in on the problem was related to the file asOutExt.dll  but there would have had to be something concrete, as I'm very good at problem analysis.  However, this problem has been going on since about Dec 19th since I installed the Avast Premier and Avast Secure (VPN) Line.

Can you offer any advice or suggestions so I can get my Outlook functional again?

Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi FRJR,

I can see that you have some issue related with Outlook Application.

this forum only handles the issues regarding Outlook Object Model.

so for better response and better solution for this issue, I move this thread to Outlook It Pro Discussions Forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

>>this problem has been going on since about Dec 19th since I installed the Avast Premier and Avast Secure (VPN) Line.

Have you tried temporarily turning off Avast Premier to check the result?

Can you open other office applications like Excel or Word? Please try repairing Office via Control Panel and see if there is any improvement.

Based on my research, the error related to ntdll.dll may occur due to corrupted Windows user profile. Please try switching to another Windows profile to check whether issue persists. You can find detailed steps in this official article.

Besides, ntdll.dll error can also be resulted from non-Microsoft applications or services conflicting with Outlook 2013. We may also determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. Please follow the steps in the link below to troubleshoot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Since the issue is likely to related to the Avast, it is suggested to try contacting the Avast support to see if other users have seen the similar situation.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:47 AM