Archive problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All
    This is going to take some explaining but I have drawn a blank...I had my Acer clean installed with windows 7, my office for small business put back on, however they spelt my name wrong and the first time I archieved office it crashed afterwards and put a report in the deleted items path not found, so I changed the path name to the incorrect speling and all seemd to work. Not true I clicked on calendar and office crashed and stopped repsonding I discovered the only way to stop this was to remove the pst file and hey presto all worked fine, however I had a problem with my archive. I telephoned the company who did the work and theyreinstalled the office and have run a pst scan (Microsofts) and found nothing at all wrong with the file, since then I also discoved a reocurring task to back up contact manager which I did not put on the system, (and apprently neither did they) I have removed this and it now archives better but still crashed on calendar click, keeps archiving until I remove the pst archive file again.

If anyone has any idea's out there please let me know.

Thank You
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since this is an Outlook related issue, I suggest you contact our Outlook support for assistance.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 28, 2009 9:40 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First I will suggest open Office in Safe Mode. Keep pressing "Ctrl" and double click Office and choose Yes to start in Safe Mode.

Does it still crash? If not, one of the offica add on is the culprit. If not, try the following steps to clean the temp file to check the result:

Close all applications, temporarily disable your screensaver if you use one.

Step 1:  Delete Windows temp files.

Hit Start-Run and type %temp% and hit enter.

NOTE: The TEMP folder is a system folder. Do not use these folders to store your own files. Do not allow files to be stored here permanently.

The contents of the Temp folder that your system uses by default should appear in the window. Hit Ctrl-a on the keyboard to select everything in that folder and hit your delete key. Send the files to the recycle bin. Leave them there for at least a week to ensure that none of the files were needed. It's unlikely, however.

Close Windows Explorer.

Step 2:  Delete temporary Internet files.

These steps valid only with Internet Explorer.

Open My Computer and note the Free space on your local drive by hitting ViewàDetails. Now calculate a quantity of perhaps 10% of the amount of space available on your hard drive. Close My Computer.

Open Internet Explorer and hit ToolsàInternet Options. If you are having difficulty running Internet Explorer, right-click the shortcut and hit Properties to bring up the Internet Options dialog.

On the General tab, click on the Settings button. Set the amount of disk space for Internet Explorer to use to the amount that is equal to 10% of your hard drive space. This is just a rule of thumb and is not necessarily appropriate for everyone.

If you’ve got DSL or Cable, check the box “every visit to a page”. If you’ve got phone-line internet (DUN), check the box “every visit to a page” and groan while you do it. There’s no point in going to web sites and NOT viewing the most updated page. If you want to see the old page, then add it to your favorites and tell it you want it to be available offline.

Hit Ok.

Click on the Delete files button. Do NOT click the checkbox for “delete all off-line content”. Hit Ok.

The history section has 20 days by default. Another rule of thumb--3 days ought to be enough.

Click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security area and check the box that says “empty temporary internet files when browser is closed”. This keeps them from building up and taking all the space on your hard drive.

Hit Ok.

Close any and all open Windows.

Monday, December 21, 2009 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

Since this is an Outlook related issue, I suggest you contact our Outlook support for assistance.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 28, 2009 9:40 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 9:13 AM