How to clean duplicates out of Person lookup field RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list with a Person/Group field (set to only allow the selection of a single person).  Data is regularly entered into this list via Datasheet view, and this Person field is critical because it allows the conditional display of this list data's web part on another page of our site (filtered to [Me] so the current user only sees relevant information from the list).

Simple and common right?  Well, here's the issue... the person field has duplicates (image below) which causes the [me] condition not to work (only one of these is the real person, apparently).  I asked our IT department and they have no idea (we have no sharepoint administrator), so I'm left to my own to figure out how and why this is happening, and how to fix it.

Any ideas?  A picture of the issue is below...

http://skeene.net/answers/DuplicatesInPersonField.png

Shawn Keene

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 25, 2011 5:04 PM With people on slow lines here as well do NOT post images - post the URL to the image so they can decide if they want to open the image.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 25, 2011 5:05 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this field a lookup field or a person/group field?

For lookup field, if you want to use this lookup field to filter, you have to make sure the field this look up field referring to is unique since the lookup value will record the row id of the row this look up field referred to (which means they will be different event they show the same value if there are multiple same values in the field of the linked list).

If it is a person/group field, i cannot reproduce this issue. however, you can try to run the following stsadm command operation:

stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263196(office.12).aspx

Seven Ma

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hey Seven,

It is just a normal person/group field.  I will pass that command to our IT staff and see if they'll mind running it to troubleshoot the issue.  I'll post back any results.

Shawn Keene
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Would you please let us know how is your problem going? Is the suggestion helpful for your issue?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Wayne Fan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:26 AM
  • Hey Wayne,

I finally was able to contact our IT staff to try that suggestion, and they plan on doing so this Sunday.  I will post back -- I've starred this message in my email :)

Shawn Keene
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:45 AM