none
After installation KB2964358, IE9 won't work anymore and shows the Download-box for every webpage RRS feed

• Question

• After installation KB2964358, IE9 won't work anymore and shows the Download-box for every webpage.

I read about one known issue for KB2964358 and that's IE11 related.
    We deployed this update company wide fairly quick because of the vulnerability risk and a lot of workstations have this effect.
    Workstations are Vista SP2 32-bit and Win7 SP1 64-bit with IE9 and Microsoft SCEP 2012 as antivirus.

We guess there is a possibility it has to do with IE9 being deployed through SCCM via WSUS, seen a vague post about that but how to remediate this so we can get that update installed?

We're still gathering information, I'll update this post with more facts

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:02 AM

Answers

• Johan,

We just ran into this issue as well. We are using Win 7 SP1 x64. We thought it might have to do with missing another update. On a whim I installed KB2936068 which is a cumulative IE 9 security update. Maybe this could help you if it is not installed on those machines?

I tested opening IE with both the KB2964358 and KB2936068 installed and IE worked fine. Uninstalling the second KB and reopening IE caused it to try and save a .htm file again. 

Let me know if that helps!

-Jeff

• Proposed as answer by iainrobins Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Johan Vanosmael Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:28 PM

All replies

• I am also facing the same issue.. When i try to open IE the below window pops up.

after uninstalling the KB, IE is working fine.

Regards, SCCM Pro.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:59 AM
  • It is almost certain that the impacted workstations have had an IE9 upgrade through SCCM/WSUS, not with a package and the standalone installer.

We rolled back this KB and hope there will be some kind of fix available anytime soon.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Johan,

We just ran into this issue as well. We are using Win 7 SP1 x64. We thought it might have to do with missing another update. On a whim I installed KB2936068 which is a cumulative IE 9 security update. Maybe this could help you if it is not installed on those machines?

I tested opening IE with both the KB2964358 and KB2936068 installed and IE worked fine. Uninstalling the second KB and reopening IE caused it to try and save a .htm file again. 

Let me know if that helps!

-Jeff

• Proposed as answer by iainrobins Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Johan Vanosmael Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Thanks Jeff, I was having this issue as well, this seems to have fixed it.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Thank you, Jeff

KB2936068 is the solution for the issue with KB2964358 on IE9.

Strange thing is that the workstations not impact, also lacked that cumulative update.
    I still suspect there was only impact on the workstations that recently received an IE8 to IE9 migration.
    Around 400 of our 1200 workstations had IE issues, new call record for our service desk thanks to this.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:37 AM
  • That's great news!

We noticed similar things on our workstations, but I believe that cumulative update actually had a few updates rolled in over time. So you might have already had a key update at an earlier time that the cumulative update now has on some stations but not others. At least in our situation that seemed to be the case. 

Wow! I wouldn't have wanted to be you for that. We were fortunate enough that we had only about 30 out of maybe 1000 workstations

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Glad that worked!
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:52 AM