Offisite tapes are not expiring after In-Place upgrade from DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Few Days back , i performed in place upgrade of DPM 2012 from DPM 2010 and i noticed that tapes are showing offsites only whereas they should be expired. Also, noticed that expiry dates moving into next date automatically

Suppose, Expiry date is mentioned is 25 Sep 2012 in Tape (slot 1) so it should expired on same date but i noticed that expiry date is showing is 26 Sep 2012 on same tape. Its really strange behavior of DPM 2012

Thanks in advance for help!!

Thanks and Regards, Vikas This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi

Please install this update and see issue 9.

Description of Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2706783

Issue 9

Tapes are marked as reusable on the next day after the date of expiry as DPM runs a reclamation job only at midnight. If you want the tape to be reusable on the same date as it is expired, create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32- bit DWORD, and set its value to 1 under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

let us know if that helped.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hi

Please install this update and see issue 9.

Description of Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2706783

Issue 9

Tapes are marked as reusable on the next day after the date of expiry as DPM runs a reclamation job only at midnight. If you want the tape to be reusable on the same date as it is expired, create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32- bit DWORD, and set its value to 1 under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

let us know if that helped.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Thanks for reply Mike!

My issue is offsite tapes should be appear as a Expired tapes on actual expired date.

I have install this update rollup 2 in my environment and now, Tapes are reusable without showing the expiration. Practically, they should expire first so that we can free the tapes for re-usable

Thanks and Regards, Vikas This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

It's just a timing issue that the rollup and registry key takes case of.  The issue is you have a tight tape rotation. When the engine looks for tapes that are usable, the expiry time for the last data sets on the tape may be slighly ahead of current time, so it could not be used.  This check is done for each backup regardless of what the GUI says.  Without the fix, you could simply add 1 tape to the rotation to ensure all backup sets are expired.  With the fix and registry value in place, we now expire all data sets at midnight 00:00am on the day that they expire, thereby ensuring the tape can be reused later in the day for future backups.   You should never have a need to manually "free" a tape as any tape that is expired (based on checks done at backup time regardles of GUI status) can be reused and overwritten by new backup jobs.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:34 PM