none
Webpage only half working when served from a networked drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an application (webpage) consisting of pure HTML/CSS that is server from a companys server through a shared drive. However after a recent update, Internet Explorer is not serving these pages correctly. Unfortunately i am not sure which update has done this, but as far as i can narrow down, it was a update in the first 3-4 months of this year.

The problem manifests itself in wrong CSS being loaded. The page uses a local version of Bootstrap, which we alter to change colors and small things like that. However somehow even though we changed the color scheme in bootstrap.css and it seems to work locally with IE, it reverts back to standard colors. Also buttons that are embedded in an anchor (<a><button></button></a>) no longer works. i realise this is not valid HTML, but still it works locally, and through shared drives with other browsers.

The pages is served in a iframe, however this does not seem to be the cause of the problem.

I hope that you guys can help, please let me know if you need more details.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

confirm that

Tools>Internet Options>General tab, Accessibility button, "Ignore colors specified on web pages" and "User Stylesheet" are unchecked, Colors Button, "Use Windows colors" is checked.

f12>Emulation tab, the Emulation mode is IE=Edge (Default).

f12>DOM Explorer tab, you web document should be using the Mark of the Web.... If not and you have configured Internet Options>Advanced tab, "Allow active content to run in files on my computer", uncheck it, restart IE and add the Mark of the web to your web document that uses the file:// protocol. You should use the Mark of the web in your 'local' files on a domain network instead of the global Advanced tab option.

File>Properties menu in IE.... The mapped security zone is Internet. You cannot access intranet content/resources from a 'local' file as MSIE browsers have a security setting preventing navigation into zones of lower integrity. If your 'local' file links to intranet resources (web sites mapped to the IE intranet zone), then remove it from the shared drive, remove the Mark of the Web and publish the document and bootstrap resources to an intranet domain on your network.

To debug web pages and local html resources using the file:// protocol, f12>Debug tab, Select "Break on all exceptions" from the dropdown (looks like a Stop sign), then without closing the dev tool (PIN it to your browser tab on the page/tab that you are debugging), return to the web page you are debugging, press ctrl+refresh to reload the page from the shared drive.

To debug blocked content issues, first Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages". Save changes. Now the IE dev tool will list markup, blocked content and security warnings in the Console tab.... ActiveX filtering, Tracking protection and Security warnings and messages.

You should consider first publishing your 'local' web resource to an intranet domain, instead of using the file://   protocol so that it can be managed by your Enterprise Site Mode lists and that there is no leakage from your intranet resources to external analytics collection services that may be bundled with the third-party frameworks that you are using or un-sandboxed iframe resources.(youtube, google search or any external website using google analytics). Iframe content assumes the Emulation mode of the parent/top window, so any external iframe content may not render as expected if hosted from an intranet domain managed with Enterprise Site Mode lists, using a lower emulation mode. If you haven't woken up yet... its a bad idea to link to external, public web sites from your intranet domains...

Post questions about html, css and scripting to the MSDN IE Web Development forum.... In the first instance follow the debugging techniques outlined above. If possible include with your questions a link to your website or a jsfiddle.net mashup that shows the issue... In the case of 'local' web resources that use the file resource, package the complete folder (page source and scripts and css files) in a zip folder and publish to a publicly accessible storage drive (onedrive or google, amazon etc).

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 7:38 PM
  • Thank you for the answer Rob.

We figured out that some of our problems was due to Internet Explorer running as IE 7 when showing content coming from a network drive. Our fix to this was to use a meta tag in the <head> tag:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9" />

Even though this forum is for Internet Explorer specifically, i leave this here for anyone else needing it.

Friday, June 23, 2017 11:03 AM