Remote users complain of call quality issues, but Monitoring reports don't show it RRS feed

• Question

• We have about 30 users that work from home with the exception of maybe once or twice a month.  They are using corporate laptops and Plantronics C610-M wired headsets.  They are all enabled for Enterprise voice.  These users spend most of their day on the phone. 

We have been receiving complaints of issues such as loss of audio, sudden disconnects, and garbled sound. 

When I examine the calls using the Monitoring reports, there is no indication that anything is wrong. 

When the users are at the office, they do not experience the same issues.

Our users have either Comcast High Speed Cable or Verizon FiOS.

I personally have made long calls using enterprise voice on a variety of internet connections.  When on Comcast High Speed Cable, I cannot reproduce the issue.  On a 2 MB DSL line, it also seems to be good for the most part with the exception of some jitter, but at those speeds to be expected.  The same goes for a 4G Hotspot connection.

We have put forth the recommondation that the users have a wired connection when they are at home, however the issue still seems to occur even when this is the case. 

I have run Netmon and Lync logging on the clients but do not see anything out of the oridnary.

I am at a loss at the moment what to check for. 

Anyone konw where I should start or know of any tools I can run on the client that could monitor call quality locally?

I am running the latest June 2012 updates on both Client and Server Platforms.

2 DNS Load Balanced Edge Servers

3 Enterprise Front End server Pool

All Hardware servers with the appropriate specs execpt for the Backend database, director and monitoring servers which are all Virtual.

Thought I would through this out here before I open a case with PSS.

Thanks,

yergg

Friday, August 10, 2012 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Yergg,

Are remote users coming in through the edge or VPN? its going to be the first question most people ask.

Cheers
    Chris

http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/

Friday, August 10, 2012 11:14 PM
  • No VPNs here.  Edge servers are being accessed via the internet.

Thanks,

yergg

Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Hi,

I think you need more test to verify if it is a network issue or Lync Edge Server issue.

Do you use public IP address for Edge External interface or NAT? Is there any firewall device between the Edge external interface and internet?

Test 1)If the firewall device is existent, please have a try let the edge server connect internet bypass the firewall.

Test 2)Disable the DNS load balancing for edge server. Just let one of the edge in the pool to work for the remote users then check the issue again.

Run the Lync Server logging Tool on the lync Edge server to get the calls trace logs during the test.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:40 AM
  • I remember the tool I was looking for.  PreCallDiagnostic.exe.

I am seeing a lot of jitter, just not sure what is causing it.  Furthermore, the Lync reports are not reflecting the jitter during the call.

I think it is time to open up a case with PSS.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any luck from PSS?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:29 AM
  • Still being troubleshot.  We are suspicious of the firewalls.
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:04 PM