Windows Server 2016 Shut down Every Week - RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2 Windows Server 2016 in our network. Server with AD is working fine. Server without AD is shutting down daily and needs to be started. 
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the event log, licensing compliance cases the shutdown. On the problematic server, open Run and type “msinfo32” to open system information, check detail server name and OS version.

If it is Windows Server Essentials, as license limitation, it can only be deployed as Primary DC and holds all FSMO roles. If it do not met, licensing compliance component will force system shutdown. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the event log, licensing compliance cases the shutdown. On the problematic server, open Run and type “msinfo32” to open system information, check detail server name and OS version.

If it is Windows Server Essentials, as license limitation, it can only be deployed as Primary DC and holds all FSMO roles. If it do not met, licensing compliance component will force system shutdown. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact 

Hi, I'm experiencing the exact same issue. The system shuts down on daily basis, typically over night. It's Windows Server 2016 Essentials (license activated). It's a domain controller. The shutting down only stopped recently, when I have left a user logged in. Otherwise it keeps shutting down. Power management is set to high performance. When it shuts down, the event logs with a shutdown code 0x000500ff.

I read your above comments, but I'm not sure if my server meets the description or not. Or where to go from here.

Please help

• Edited by Badtorro Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:40 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:36 PM