none
Office Products 2013 certificate issues and questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I have questions about the combination of internal and external certificates. In principle I want to know how can I combine external certificates with internal ones?

We are planning to use SharePoint 2013 (external/internal access), Exchange 2013 (external/internal access), LYNC 2013 (internal access only) and Office Web Apps Server 2013 (internal access only).

TLD: company.de (external DNS)

AD: internal.local (Active Directory Domain with 2012 R2 ADCS)

We have set up the systems as following:

Exchange 2013: exch13.internal.local

• internal / external url: exchange.company.de

LYNC 2013: lync13.internal.local

• internal Pool only: lync.internal.local

SharePoint 2013: sps13.internal.local

• internal / external url: sharepoint.company.de

Office Web Apps 2013: owa.internal.local

• internal url: owa.internal.local

In the old environment (SharePoint, Exchange 2010) we were capable to access the services from internet without vpn and are using a wildcard certificate *.company.de. The old LYNC 2010 server (internal certificate) was connected to Exchange 2010 OWA as IM services (external certificate). Office Web Apps was installed directly on SharePoint 2010. Everything works fine.

With our new 2013 environment I got Exchange 2013 working (same certificate as 2010). But cannot connect Office Web Apps Server to him. Same problem with the LYNC 2013 / OWA integration. It seems to be a problem with combination of certificates (*.company.de on Exchange vs. fqdn.internal.local on Office Web Apps and LYNC). Must we buy external certificates for LYNC 2013 and Office Web Apps Server 2013 too (which both are only usable directly from our LAN) to connect them to SharePoint 2013 and Exchange 2013 (which are available from internet and LAN)? Or must we deploy all services with external URL and certificates. Problems here are the disproportionality costs for the correct certificates per year.

Hope you understand what we are planning to do.

Kind regards

O.Schmalkoke

Friday, September 12, 2014 10:19 AM