none
My DNS record is not up to date RRS feed

• Question

• Environment: Windows Server 2012 R2 + Windows 10 Ent. version 1703

Hi all,

I'm using a laptop with a docking station. I work through the docking cabled with Ethernet since few days but for some reason, my DNS record in the zone show my Wireless IP instead of my Ethernet IP.

The Ethernet and the Wireless are in two separated subnet/scope on my DHCP.

Both DHCP lease are set to 8 days. So I guess after 4 days, my laptop will send a new DHCP lease request and the DNS record should be updated.

If I change my DHCP leases like for 2 days instead of 8, I'll have a problem with the Scavenging/Aging settings which are set to refresh 4 days + no-refresh 4 days. If I'm right, the lowest DHCP lease shouldn't be under the addition of Scavenging/Aging settings. And if I'm still right, the Refresh/No-Refresh shouldn't be set under 2-3 days minimum.

I need the DNS records be up to date all day and not only when the DHCP lease comes ends.

Thanks in advance for your expertise,

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 11:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

>>If I change my DHCP leases like for 2 days instead of 8, I'll have a problem with the Scavenging/Aging settings which are set to refresh 4 days + no-refresh 4 days. If I'm right, the lowest DHCP lease shouldn't be under the addition of Scavenging/Aging settings. And if I'm still right, the Refresh/No-Refresh shouldn't be set under 2-3 days minimum.

Your understanding is correct. Please note reducing the lease duration creates more DHCP-related network traffic.

There is a article about How DNS Scavenging and the DHCP Lease Duration Relate, you could refer to it.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfe/2011/06/03/how-dns-scavenging-and-the-dhcp-lease-duration-relate/

https://serverfault.com/questions/450858/can-a-laptops-hostname-be-associated-with-both-of-its-interfaces

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:14 AM

• Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Thank you for your help. I have red the informations and it helps to understand.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards,

Frank

Monday, November 6, 2017 5:36 AM