Office 360 - Outlook tasks keep resetting to include the former category with the new category I chose RRS feed

• Question

• I have tasks in the "Waiting" category and change the task to "Personal" category.  The same day all the tasks will change to now be in both categories or it will wait two days and do the same thing.  This is driving me wild. 

The categories are ones I created in the Master Category list and have been working fine for years.  I would greatly appreciate some help on this. 

Thank you.

Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the version of your Outlook client? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

>> I have tasks in the "Waiting" category and change the task to "Personal" category

How did you change the category? If you directly add the "Personal" category, the task will shown both in "Waiting" category and "Personal" category.  If you want to change "Waiting" category to "Personal" category, you need to clear category first and then add "Personal" category.

Does this issue only happen to tasks? How about other Outlook items such as messages and calendars items?

In this situation, there could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, please try starting your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues. 

It is also suggested to check if you have set any rule which may lead to this issue. If there are multiple rules or you have difficulty finding the culprit one, please turn off all rules via File > Rules & Alerts and see if the problem still exists.

In addition, please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:40 AM