FAST ESP Custom ACL RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to implement multiple custom ACLs in FAST?

For example we have a collection of documents that represent music items and we would like to search in this collection using territory rules so that we can display the items that are available in the user's country. An item can be available in the EU group but not available in Ireland (because there is a duplicate item for Ireland), so we were thinking about implementing an ACL.

We would appreciate any help...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:48 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your response. I believe you may have been working on this issue with one of our senior Technical Support Escalation Engineers last week.  Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way, out of the box, to use a custom ACL in the way you want.   The only component available in Fast Search filtering security is the Security Access Module.  This will only perform filtering for search results. If there was a way you could have users or groups assigned to an ACL on the records, rather than territory information, I believe you would be able to accomplish some of your objectives, such as secure search results. This would allow you to import the user/group list into SAM and filter accordingly.  From a search point of view, SAM is only interested in whether or not a user can see the search result, and would not be able to control the ability to either search, download, or stream.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service & Support                          Microsoft | Services

• Proposed as answer by Rob Va - MSFT Monday, October 24, 2011 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanis Champeris Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:26 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:52 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you had the opportunity to read the ESP Security Access Module guide?  I would recommend reviewing the ACL documentation in that guide, and let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hello Rob,

we have consider SAM but we need a different ACL for view, download and stream the music item and from what I've read in the documentation SAM only supports NTFS ACL which is not the case for our implementation.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Thanks for your response. I believe you may have been working on this issue with one of our senior Technical Support Escalation Engineers last week.  Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way, out of the box, to use a custom ACL in the way you want.   The only component available in Fast Search filtering security is the Security Access Module.  This will only perform filtering for search results. If there was a way you could have users or groups assigned to an ACL on the records, rather than territory information, I believe you would be able to accomplish some of your objectives, such as secure search results. This would allow you to import the user/group list into SAM and filter accordingly.  From a search point of view, SAM is only interested in whether or not a user can see the search result, and would not be able to control the ability to either search, download, or stream.

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Rob Va - MSFT Monday, October 24, 2011 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanis Champeris Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:26 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:52 PM