none
Explorer.exe is not starting automatically when I boot (Windows 10) RRS feed

• Question

• When I start my laptop it goes to a black screen with a small command prompt window. I have to use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to open the task manager and run explorer.exe as a new task. This happens in safe mode as well. I have checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon in the registry editor and "shell" only shows "explorer.exe" there are no other values listed. Running sfc /scannow does not fix the problem; it reads "windows resource  protection did not find any integrity violations" upon completion. How can I fix this?
    Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Shell registry entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon should only be explorer.exe

Have you tried running the following?
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Let us know if it helps!

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:35 PM
  • I have this same issue. The registry has the correct entry for ... explorer.exe  ... I have checked the environment variables and they have the correct paths.  Windows just starts with a black screen with the command prompt. If I type in explorer it all then works. I do not want to this every time I log in. 

I decided to create a new admin user and that starts correctly. So the problem is with the user account. I could use the new account but that is a fudge I would really like to resolve the problem if anyone can help.

Sunday, June 17, 2018 1:56 PM
  • Sorry forgot to mention I have run which did not find any problems  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  
    Sunday, June 17, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Looks like something is corrupted with one of your user profiles.

You could also try the suggestions in the link below (even if it's for win7):

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d47aece7-5e12-46ec-8d3e-e8671730a7ce/forum-faqafter-logging-into-windows-7-a-black-screen-appears-and-the-desktop-is-missing?forum=w7itproperf

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Sunday, June 17, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the same problem now.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:42 PM
  • i have done everything that i could find in google search. tried registry shell value change: was explorer.exe tried userinit value change: was same tried h_key local machine shell value with %compc% deleted still same, tried cmd system scan,tried restoring windows to a previous state,checked for virus, still no luck! please someone help me,been grinding for weeks now!very frustrated! i even tried the work around of putting explorer.exe shortcut in startup folder,no luck!updated my graphics drivers too!
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:32 AM
  • I found that you might need to also go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, then delete shell

So, overall, make sure in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon shell is set to explorer.exe
    In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, The shell registry entry is removed entirely, and in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor, remove Autorun if it exists

Also, check to make sure that you don't have some malware in C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoundModule\SoundModule.exe. I do not know if there's a legitimate "SoundModule.exe" but I know that the one that was on my drive was malicious.

Good luck

• Edited by Marcsoup126 Sunday, November 3, 2019 2:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Marcsoup126 Sunday, November 3, 2019 2:21 AM
    Sunday, November 3, 2019 2:12 AM
  • Very Awesome and straight forward solution, thank you very much.!! @Marcsoup126
    • Proposed as answer by SirBreaksAlot Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SirBreaksAlot Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:24 PM
  • In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, The shell registry entry is removed entirely

Mine was set to %comspec%, removed that in hope that it will help.
    Otherwise I need to type "explorer" in the cmd on boot.. It's getting seriously annoying.

EDIT: That one reg key solved my issue. Thanks mate.
    • Edited by madPsyko Saturday, November 9, 2019 5:37 AM confirmation
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 3:11 AM
  • In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, The shell registry entry is removed entirely

Mine was set to %comspec%, removed that in hope that it will help.
    Otherwise I need to type "explorer" in the cmd on boot.. It's getting seriously annoying.

EDIT: That one reg key solved my issue. Thanks mate.

This is the same thing, so you might want to remove those other entries/files. 

from reddit user spiralspectra: (Just replace "soundmixer" with whatever your virus called itself)

Mate i fixed it, it seemed like a virus:

Here is a step by step on how to do away with these.

1.a) Open Run (windows key + r) and enter "%appdata%" without quotes and press enter.

1.b) Go to the Microsoft folder and delete the SoundMixer folder contained within (This is the mining software).

1.c) Open Run and enter "regedit.exe" without quotes.

1.d) Find the registry entry mentioned as([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]) and remove it. This entry attempts to run the miner whenever a CMD is started.

2.a) Go to the winlogon registry entry in the same regedit software ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon])

2.b) Check the sub-key named "shell" and change its value to "explorer.exe" without the quotes. (This means when you log onto windows it will no longer attempt to run the miner and instead start up normally.)
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:16 AM