Folder Permissions to Share or Just Grant Access? RRS feed

• Question

• I am a little confused as when you should share out a folder on the server and when you should just grant access permissions. Does one have greater security? 

In other words

Right Click on folder and select Sharing, share with selected people

or

Right click on folder, go to properties, go to sharing, select share with and add users

To me it would seem they are the same thing; however, they are not.

Tina Jansen

Thursday, December 5, 2013 5:02 AM

Answers

• On sharing, the folder is available on network. If you share and give access, then you're enabling its visibility over the network and giving certain permissions. In other option, you're just giving permissions and not sharing. But, after sharing you can use security option to define more /detailed security.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Canadian-Cash Saturday, December 7, 2013 9:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:09 PM
    Saturday, December 7, 2013 1:58 PM

All replies

• Using security option you can define more/complex options. And in sharing tab, you only have Read or full access.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 5:22 AM
  • But both ways should allow access to the folder, correct? Sometimes it seems like I have to share out the folder. Why is this?

Tina Jansen

Thursday, December 5, 2013 5:31 AM
  • First you share, then you give permissions.

In the sharing wizards, its just to save time and give permissions.

Friday, December 6, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Not true, I can also simply grant permissions to a folder and never share the folder out. What exactly is the difference? What do you gain by sharing out the folder, rather than simple granting permissions to the folder.

Tina Jansen

Friday, December 6, 2013 8:31 PM
  • On sharing, the folder is available on network. If you share and give access, then you're enabling its visibility over the network and giving certain permissions. In other option, you're just giving permissions and not sharing. But, after sharing you can use security option to define more /detailed security.

• Marked as answer by Canadian-Cash Saturday, December 7, 2013 9:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:09 PM
    Saturday, December 7, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Thank you so much. That clears it up for me!

Tina Jansen

Saturday, December 7, 2013 9:32 PM