none
nslookup issue

Question

• Our suffixes are: localad.com,companyname.com,extradomain1.com,extradomain2.com,extradomain3.com

Looking for www.companyname.com, we see:
    www.companyname.com.localad.com
    www.companyname.com.companyname.com
    www.companyname.com.extradomain1.com
    www.companyname.com.extradomain2.com
    www.companyname.com.extradomain3.com
    www.companyname.com

We've be having issue with Skype for business and dns resolution lag. Our sky providers recommended adding a . to the top of our dns suffix search list. 

So now it looks like this:  .,localad.com,companyname.com,extradomain1.com,extradomain2.com,extradomain3.com

So now when looking for www.companyname.com, we try:
    www.companyname.com.
    It resolves as expected.

Problem is now if I want to nslookup a pc in active directory for example, I have to fully qualify it.

Although ping works ok.

C:\Users\parisv>nslookup pc1

Server:  dc-01.localad.com

Address:  10.0.1.1

*** dc-01.localad.com can't find pc1: Server failed

C:\Users\parisv>ping pc1

Pinging pc1.localad.com [10.0.1.124] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.1.124: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Reply from 10.0.1.124: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Is there anything else we can do? I would prefer not to have to type in the active directory domain name each time to nslookup

• Edited by ParisV Tuesday, May 08, 2018 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, May 08, 2018 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Based on my research, I recognize that if the "." suffix was appended on first place of the suffix search list, it would query with hostname such as the following figure and normally couldn't resolve since there is no corresponding record in the . root domain. However, it wouldn’t add the subsequent suffixes to resolve. If move down the "." suffix, it would query name with the suffixes listed in the search list as below.

You may move down the "." suffix on the appending suffix search list, and retry to resolve the pc1 via nslookup.

Here is a link refer to DNS suffix, it may be helpful.

https://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2011/02/12/configuring-dns-search-suffixes/

Hope above information can help you. If you would like further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael 

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, May 12, 2018 6:20 AM
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Michael

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:33 PM