SFB Edge Server FQDN's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have existing Lync 2013 having Single FE Pool with One Edge server.

We are planning to upgrade to Skype for Business on new hardware. We are not going for inPlace upgarde.

In new environment, we will have 2 sites and will create 2 Front End Pools in Pool pairing relationship. We will gradually move the users to new pools.

We will also create an Edge Pool and associate with one of the FE pool. I need to define the AccessEdge, Webconf and A/V FQDN for external access. My query is: Can I define the existing AccessEdge, Webconf and A/V FQDN on this new edge pool with New Public IP. My requirement is to have the same FQDN that is currently associated with exiting Lync 2013 edge server and I want to use the same URL but with different Public IP, so that after migrating all users to new Pool, I can change the Pointer of AccessEdge, Webconf and A/V FQDN in Public DNS to start pointing to new edge server,

Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:45 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can use same URLs with different IP addresses. Once you test all firewall ports, you can associate new edge pool to front end pool and test all URLs with host file entries before changing public DNS.

Tek-Nerd

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, March 17, 2016 9:45 AM
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:32 PM
  • If you wish an inplace upgrade you can use new hardware!

you need do a migration, move use and content to the new SfB Server Pool, Well the Edge you can upgrade if it stay on the same hardware.

With a new and also additional pool in new site the external simple URL stays the same, but be aware about the additional external Web Service URL! you will have per Front End Pool on dedicated WS URL.

the rest is correct what you mentioned.

Cheers 

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:55 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can use same URLs with different IP addresses. Once you test all firewall ports, you can associate new edge pool to front end pool and test all URLs with host file entries before changing public DNS.

Tek-Nerd

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:32 PM
  • If you wish an inplace upgrade you can use new hardware!

you need do a migration, move use and content to the new SfB Server Pool, Well the Edge you can upgrade if it stay on the same hardware.

With a new and also additional pool in new site the external simple URL stays the same, but be aware about the additional external Web Service URL! you will have per Front End Pool on dedicated WS URL.

the rest is correct what you mentioned.

Cheers 

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:55 PM