none
BTS2016 - SSO administration. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have two BizTalk 2016 servers - one runs under WS2012 R2, the other one one is under Windows 10. On both, when I try to open SSO Admin (Microsoft.EnterpriseSingleSignOn.StartMMC.exe), nothing  happens. The screen just blinks and that's all, the MMC doesn't show up. Any idea why? 

Thanks!

Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:43 PM

Answers

• No, I have the same result in all environments. Screen blinks, and that's it.

The only way to open is to start MMC.exe console and then navigate to the Entrerprise SSO folder and open the EntSSo from the console.

As noted above, it is mostly likely a fault configuration/bug which should be fixed in next patch/cumulative update released for Biztalk Server 2016 by the product team as this has been already noticed by Tord, Program Manager at Microsoft. Till then you can use the MMC.exe as workaround.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

The reason why this problem is happening is that with BizTalk Server 2016 there is a bug and the installation wizard doesn’t create all the necessary keys in the Register.

The solution is easy, and you have very different ways to do it.

If you want to open the SSO Administration snap-in, you can:

• Go to the Enterprise Single Sign-On installation folder
    • Normally, “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Enterprise Single Sign-on”
    • And directly execute the “ENTSSO.<g class="gr_ gr_48 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="48" id="48">msc</g>” (double click)

If you want to fix the SSO Administration shortcut to work properly, you can:

• Open the Register
    • And on the HKWY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ENTSSO add
    • the following string: InstallPath
    • with the value: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Enterprise Single Sign-On

I explain this issue and created a PowerShell script that you guys can use to fix this problem here: How to fix BizTalk Server 2016 SSO Administration Console with PowerShell

Best regards,

Sandro Pereira

Sandro Pereira
    DevScope | MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010
    http://sandroaspbiztalkblog.wordpress.com/ | @sandro_asp
    Oporto BizTalk Innovation Day | 14th March 2013 – Oporto, Portugal
    Please mark as answered if this answers your question.

Monday, September 3, 2018 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You must have MMC 3.0 installed on your computer for the Snap-in to function.

To open the Enterprise SSO MMC Snap-in, click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Enterprise Single Sign-On, and then click SSO Administration.

Also ensure that the account that you're logged on should be a member of the SSO Administrators and SSO Affiliate Administrators group. 

For more details refer: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa547107.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Arindam Paul RoyEditor Friday, December 30, 2016 2:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by fly2 Saturday, December 31, 2016 5:24 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Thank you, Rachit. 

MMC 3.0 is installed. When I start MMC.exe and navigate to the Entrerprise SSO folder and open EntSSo from the console, it's wortking.  

The "SSO Administration", that is  Microsoft.EnterpriseSingleSignOn.StartMMC.exe - this is what's not working on all BizTalk 2016 servers we have. As I said we have BTS2016 running under  WS 2012 R2 and also under Windows 10, the result is the same, it's not working.   Not end of life, but very inconvenient.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 5:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks yes might be some issue with mmc for SSO  Admin console .

Tried with windows 8.1 and 10 with similar result . You can use Enterprise SSO folder to open up the MMC .

Thanks

Abhishek

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Do you manage to open this in either one of the machines (2012R2 or WIN10)?

Best regards,

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Program Manager BizTalk

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:45 PM
  • Hi Tord ,

I tried with windows 8.1 and windows 10 .

MMC console works from path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Enterprise Single Sign-On but it when try with search option screen blinks and do not open SSO Administrator.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:57 PM

The only way to open is to start MMC.exe console and then navigate to the Entrerprise SSO folder and open the EntSSo from the console.

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:00 AM

As noted above, it is mostly likely a fault configuration/bug which should be fixed in next patch/cumulative update released for Biztalk Server 2016 by the product team as this has been already noticed by Tord, Program Manager at Microsoft. Till then you can use the MMC.exe as workaround.

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:36 AM
  • If you contact support there is a hotfix available, which will most likely be included in a future SSO cumulative fix. But you don't need the hotfix as you can get around the problem with this command after you have done your installation, which will add the missing part : 

<ISO-Media-Root>:\BizTalk Server\Platform\SSO64\Setup.exe /quiet /ADDLOCAL froot 

Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

The reason why this problem is happening is that with BizTalk Server 2016 there is a bug and the installation wizard doesn’t create all the necessary keys in the Register.

The solution is easy, and you have very different ways to do it.

If you want to open the SSO Administration snap-in, you can:

• Go to the Enterprise Single Sign-On installation folder
    • Normally, “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Enterprise Single Sign-on”
    • And directly execute the “ENTSSO.<g class="gr_ gr_48 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="48" id="48">msc</g>” (double click)

If you want to fix the SSO Administration shortcut to work properly, you can:

• Open the Register
    • And on the HKWY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ENTSSO add
    • the following string: InstallPath
    • with the value: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Enterprise Single Sign-On

I explain this issue and created a PowerShell script that you guys can use to fix this problem here: How to fix BizTalk Server 2016 SSO Administration Console with PowerShell

Best regards,

Sandro Pereira

Sandro Pereira
    DevScope | MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010
    http://sandroaspbiztalkblog.wordpress.com/ | @sandro_asp
    Oporto BizTalk Innovation Day | 14th March 2013 – Oporto, Portugal
    Please mark as answered if this answers your question.

Monday, September 3, 2018 11:35 PM